What's it like to team for USX?

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Chase05, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Chase05

Chase05 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Central NY
    I'm in a CDL class atm, and have been thinking about signing on with USX since one of their recruiters came into class. Just going off their CPM pay, they seem somewhere between subpar and crappy for solo driving, but their team rates are awesome. I've done a little research on here, and have gotten mixed reviews on them, but it's hard to listen to all the bad reviews when many of them admit to being fired or quitting because of "a bad week". Anyway, when it comes to their Teams division, they pay 48 CPM (44 without hazmat endorsement) after their 8 weeks training necessary for student drivers. For first year, that's amazing. If anyone knows a better company that hires students for that money, tell me where to sign up! I'm just worried this is a strong case of being "too good to be true". Insight from any USX drivers is appreciated, but I'm really more interested in hearing from and about their team divisions. I don't believe they can lie about paying 48 CPM, right? Is there some kind of "gimmick"? Do they do a lot of haz mat, and is that the reason for the pay, because all their CPM rates are conditional of a haz mat endorsement. Their recruiters claim 5K to 6K Miles per week average, which seems standard. Even 4000 miles at 48 CPM comes out to $960 after the split.

Seriously, is this just too good to be true? 48CPM for teams pretty much right out of school, how bad could it be?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. until22

until22 Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Hello. When I called US Xpress the person on the phone, when pressed, said that they change the payrate based on how far the trip is. For example. if you are driving a 400 mile trip the payrate is significantly higher than if you are driving a 900 mile trip. I would call a recruiter and ask them "If I drive teams, are we going to be paid a different rate based on the length of the trip? What are the different pay rates for different lengths?" Recruiters do lie A LOT, so just do your homework, and best of luck to you. Thanks.

4. ladytruckerjenn

ladytruckerjenn Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    corpus christi, texas
    I team with usx. Team pay is 44 split. We average 5000 miles a week. Bring home after taxes over 900 weekly. It has been a great company so far and ive been here a year. Feel free to message me if you have questions

Chase05 Thanks this.
  5. Chase05

Jun 16, 2013
    Central NY
    So, you're happy there. Am I correct in my assumption this company is better for teams than solo, because I haven't seen any of the recent complaint threads here be from Teams. I'm waiting for someone to tell me to run away cuz of some terrible something, lol.

6. tustultuses

tustultuses Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I'm curious as well. I just finished training with USX and am upgrading on Monday. I don't have a teammate yet but my training coordinator said she'd get me one. We'll see.

7. yessir

yessir Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2013
    queens, ny
    You will be alright because my buddy left werner 4 weeks ago and switch over to US EXPRESS teaming with another guy he told me he will hang in there nd he actually like it.... Good luck

8. Chase05

Jun 16, 2013
    Central NY
    Well, that answers my question about team pairing. I have a partner interested in doing this, but you never know what might happen.

Also, gratz to both of you guys and good luck. I'm hoping to be in your shoes soon, so please be sure to update here or in another thread how you guys are doing there. I'm still waiting to hear if they can make 48 cpm not worth it...

9. Cammi

Cammi Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Erie, PA
    So do they put you with whomever is next in line for teams and hope that you two are compatible or at least can get along with each other? Home time for two people who arent geographically together has got to be challenging to say the least. Miles are never guaranteed so do you get 5000 miles a week? What about females? Not that I dont trust you gentleman, but honestly I'd feel better with another female driving with me.

10. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    1st new green teams with has-mat (after the 8 weeks) get .48cpm (split) for ALL dispatch miles (loaded & empty)
    team with has-mat will (generally) get more miles.... the reason is some shippers (fedex) require all teams have has-mat because they don't know until the trailer is loaded if it will have has-mat in it so only a has-mat team can be dispatched on it...

2nd solo drivers are on sliding pay teams are on fixed pay

3rd if you need a team driver they will try to find someone CLOSE to you (under 100 miles) it will be up to the two of you as to who takes the truck home.

4th if your a female they will not make you train, drive or team with a gentleman if YOU don't want to.

5th if you are a non-smoker they will not make you train, drive or team with a smoker (if your a non-smoking female it my take time to find you a trainer or co-driver)

I was a company solo and team driver with usx for 7 years and a solo and team O/O with usx for the last 2 years

Chase05 and Cammi Thank this.
  11. Chase05

Jun 16, 2013
    Central NY
    Thanks for the post Flood. Haven't heard anything bad yet, lol. The hazmat thing is interesting, possibly getting more miles with one. I passed the endorsement test when I went and got my permit. Actually, I got every endorsement I would need, except Metal Coil (NY only endorsement for flatbedding). I love living in New York... Anyway, I guess I have to do fingerprinting for hazmat? I already did a drug test as part of my DOT physical before permit testing. Guess I should check with my school about it.

What would you say you average on miles for a week? Any idea of an average load length, mainly, do you get mostly long or do you still get short stuff on occasion?

How about Team applications? Is it easier to get accepted when you have a partner? Do you hear a lot of stories about only one partner of a pair being accepted into the company? Is it easy to switch to solo if something happens to your partner, or if you get "sick of" that partner?

Anything you could say that would make me believe this isn't the best thing I could do as a no experience student driver, cuz it beats out the competition pay wise considerably it seems.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.