What's it like to team for USX?

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Chase05, Jun 21, 2013.

1. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    has-mat and tanker..... "X" endorsement.... the reason is fmcsa changed what a tanker is so now any TANK over 110gl requires the tanker endorsement, you will get loads from time to time that have plastic tanks over 110gl and maybe has-mat.... I've lost 2 loads this year because I don't have the tanker yet...

as a o/o what I do now is not the same, my miles and pay are not the same as company drivers and not the same as most o/o working for usx and the last 2 years (4 years ago)we were driving team for usx we had a dedicated fedex run (6708 miles a week), the company will say the avg team will avg 4,500 a week, that's a yearly avg. we had weeks we only got 1,800 (in winter) for the next 5-6 months most teams should be getting 6,000 + a week but not every week and yes you do get stupid short runs (sometimes under 20 miles)just so you can have a mt trailer, and just remember that most team's CAN but don't run 1,300 a day (we do it all the time) teams that will run 1,200 miles a day all the time will start getting the best runs, always say yes to repowers even if you end up with less miles WHY..? because they do remember who they can count on to help out and you get better run's because of it. as one of the "go to trucks" we would get things like 700ml dead head just to pick up a load, the load was only 900ml but add the 700ml dead head and we got paid 1,600ml, having has-mat we bobtailed 600ml to get a fedex has-mat load (has-mat team required) the load wasn't has-mat, does it happen like that all the time NO but it does happen.....

team app doesn't matter each must get hired on their own.....
    see above
    happens but not that must
    I know a lot of team that have split up....

ALL companies have bad things, some are bad at one thing and another is bad about other things will usx work out for you I can't say, we were very happy with them for 7 years so when we got our own truck we leased it on with usx

Chase05 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chase05

Chase05 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Central NY
    What's a "repower"?

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but the Tanker test is dirt easy, least in NY (and nothing ever seems to be easier in NY). Test will take 15 minutes.

The only thing that was on a tanker test that isn't a repeat of the combo or general knowledge test is "surge" (keep your brake on when you stop so the wave of liquid doesn't push you forward) and what baffles do, and the fact that food (like milk) has to be in unbaffled tanks for cleaning/sanitary reasons. Anything else is just common sense based off the physics of transporting a big tank full of liquid.

4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I just haven't had the time to go down and take the test......

a repower is when 1 truck picks up a load and for 1 reason or another can't make the del ONTIME so they will have another truck meet up and swap loads and the 2nd truck will del the 1st trucks load,

5. Chase05

Chase05 Medium Load Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Central NY
    Didn't mean to sound insulting Flood. Just commenting that that short explanation was really all that was on the tanker test that isn't just a rehash from the general/combo tests, lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.