whats it like training with a trainer at usx

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by john b, Apr 12, 2012.

1. grusco

grusco Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Rosemount, MN

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. musicgal

musicgal Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Carthage, Missouri
    Vinsanity, I did not get offended at what you said. I know my limits and I learned them through trial and error, seeing how long I could stay out before crashing physically, mentally, and emotionally and I learned it is right at 24-26 days...................I admire you for putting up with your team driver. One of us would have been off that truck a long time ago..LOL

Rebelchick, if I am thinking right, you do not HAVE to team. It's a decision that needs to be made between you and your trainer and if she is having heart problems then she doesn't need to be running as a team.

Grusco, I ran for USX for one year before I started training. Those seven months were the last seven of 2010 because I upgraded in May. I wasn't really hip about training but my FM kept telling me "You need to train and teach others what you had to learn on your own since your trainer didn't really teach you like he should have."..................As for the Training class, well, let's just say it was about as informative as the Orinetation classes are.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
    grusco Thanks this.
  4. BigBluePeter

BigBluePeter Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Well that all depends on when you get the paperwork in now doesnt it lol. Typically, 2500-4k. And yes it can be done like that if you really need to even running "solo"

I get paychecks higher than 1200 too but Id rather not throw out numbers since i value my anonymity. Those are weeks with bonuses usually. I rarely ever run team with a noob, just not going to do it sorry. I was at werner and remember the day clearly when they sent the message that a Trainee had run off the road on I81 and killed himself .... AND his trainer tht was sleeping in the bunk. Not me no thanks.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  5. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    Musicgal, don't admire me. There must be something wrong with me...LOL

Actually, he's a nice guy and I felt sorry for him. I thought I could teach him but he just can't learn.

6. vinsanity

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    So what's your secret? Did you just have a better FM?

7. BigBluePeter

BigBluePeter Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    My secret is that I get everything there on time. I repower, I run short runs if needed and if im not getting treated right I let them know theyve got to do better. There are weeks when i get less miles but usually its because im in the shop or just plain beat and want to slack off some. I also stay out anywhere form 2 weeks (Generally 3 weeks a full training session) to 6 weeks. Most people I deal with i get along with but Im capable of being an ### when needed, If youre a door mat in this industry youre not going to last very long anyway.

HD_Renegade Thanks this.
  8. vinsanity

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    We work the same way then. Good to know as becoming a trainer is always my Plan B now.

BigBluePeter Thanks this.
  9. RebelChick

RebelChick Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Coastal VA
    Other than the minor medical incident, I can say I have a helluva trainer as well. When I first met her, I thought, "No friggin' way are we gonna get along!", but we do and she is very knowledgeable and knows how to give that knowledge to others. I also know that the trainee's attitude and willingness/ability to learn has a lot to do with it as well. I'm having a good time this time around! Many thanks to all of you trainers that endure us trainees because you want us to succeed, not just to get miles for sitting in the passenger seat!

NoCoCraig and ATL-1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.