What's the best freight for an Owner Op? Tanker, Heavy?? $$$

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by silenced140, Feb 25, 2017.

1. silenced140

silenced140 Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    I'm looking to go owner operator at some point. That's far down the road. Just trying to learn as much as possible.

So tell me about types of freight.. What pays well? What type is consistent? I'm told than you can't go wrong with reefer. Might not pay high but you will always have loads??

But how about tanker? I've always been curious about that. Is it hard to get tanker loads for owner operator? Do they pay well?

All that really matters is MONEY though. What freight pays the highest and is always consistent. I would much prefer high risk, high reward type of work.

Hope you guys get what I'm saying.. Anyways thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. goose0324

goose0324 Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Probably wind turbines, heavy haul.

4. silenced140

silenced140 Light Load Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Cool thanks. Yeah I imagine those things do pay quite well. TONS to learn I bet though.. Where would you start out learning heavy haul?

5. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    Use the search feature on the website and boom all the info is there for the taking.

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Really HH?

There is no place to learn it, do the flatbed thing and move up.

dustinbrock Thanks this.
  7. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    If money is the driving force to stick with tanker what is more consistent

8. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    generally the more specialized the freight/equipment required to haul the freight typically the better it pays. also the more slow times you will tend to have.

anyone can buy any cheap tractor on the road everyone needs food refer trailers are a dime a dozen, your work steady for low pay.

tankers are a little more specialized need a truck that is set up for tanker work likely need a PTO. trailers are more expensive rates are typically better, many different area's of the tanker and they type of commodity transported in them and they types of trailers required. like anhydrous cng ect require pretty specialized trailers rates are typically pretty darn good but it tends to be eater really good or really bad depending on the time of year.

fuel tends to be steadyer rates better than van but might not be as good as somthing else. might have long waits to get loaded. ect

rgn is a speciallized trailer pays better than a regular flat ect.

if you can try to haul whatever you want to haul as a company driver first it will give you a better understanding of what you would be getting yourself into everything has good points and bad.

personally i try to stay away from over crowded general volume markets and stay in slightly more specialized markets. i prefer to do less volume of work for better pay.

dustinbrock Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.