Whats the minimum requirements to legally drive home a truck you just bought

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gypsy-soul, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    He's worked at 5 or 6 places since. When he starts at a new one, he tells me "you should come over here" No thanks, I'll wait until you last there a little while.

fargonaz, Gypsy-soul and motocross25 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
  4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Me and my dad drove the truck in my avatar home from texas to pa. Not for hire sticker was already on from the farmer we got it from. Almost forgot to mention the cardboard license plate taped to the windshield. Seemed like every scale in the confederates were open. Had no problems at all. The cardboard plate also had hand written insurance info good for 3 days. No ifta dot mc or anything. 1640mi in 26 hours

Your luck may vary

Gypsy-soul Thanks this.
  5. cd066

cd066 Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    As far as I know if you are not hauling anything (cargo to be sold) and or conducting interstate/intrastate commerce you can drive the truck just like a POV. All you need to do is put "not for hire" on the side and you can skip all the weigh stations etc. Also you would need to cover any DOT # as well. I've seen people driving class A trucks with a trailer that is a mega-motorhome with no DOT # etc. I'm not sure - but I don't think you are required to even have a CDL if you have it for personal use.

It varies by state but a bill of sale is normally considered acceptable in lieu of a registration for XX number of days - 14 to 30 comes to mind - but each state will have some weird non-uniform way of interpretation.

Gypsy-soul Thanks this.
  6. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I have picked up 5 of my own. 3 of them I did it on the fly, the last 2 were on the up and up. Especially the last one because I was importing it from Canada.

You do your best to avoid problems, but things happen. Just imagine what would happen if somebody caused a major accident and hit you. Would it be worth what you save?

Gypsy-soul Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I pulled a just purchased used rusted tank trailer from Maine to Utah with nothing but the bill of sale. Hauled 3 stacked flatbed trailers from Texas to Montana with nothing but mso's. Not one scale or cop stopped me.

Gypsy-soul Thanks this.
  8. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    @Gypsy-soul ....simple

Go to your DMV, get a "Trip Permit" and confirm if u have insurance or not.

If not, pay whatever fee they require, and once you buy the truck, slap "NOT 4 HIRE" on the windscreen. You might get temp tags depending on state.

That's what I did, and I got 72hr window to move vehicle (see what I called it? Not a "semi" or "tractor" or "commercial truck")....it's simply a vehicle at this point, to your home address.

Gypsy-soul Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You can't, not for hire is meaningless and flags you quickly with the wrong cop.

Gypsy-soul, motocross25 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  10. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    I just did this last week....Dallas to Wi. All that's required is liability insurance for the truck. I got mine thru my company for 7 days. Put "not for hire In transit" stickers on the doors, and you're good to go. FYI...buy some "Garage Sale" signs at Wally world for $1, turn them over (they're blank on back) and buy some letters for them. ended up costing me less than $6.

kimbosa and Gypsy-soul Thank this.
  11. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    your bill of sale is your temp registration for x number of days....most of the states I went thru give you at least 10-30 days from date of sale....all that will be needed is insurance

Gypsy-soul Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.