Whats the real scoop?

Discussion in 'CRST' started by Jokerzwild, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Jokerzwild

Jokerzwild Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Riverside, Ca
    I start school for CRST on the 22nd.
    I asked the recruiter if living in KY would be a problem. He said No.
    I was told .22 cents a mile during training.
    Am I going to get a $12.00 check until my school is payed?
    And last but not least what about Medical for my family?

I dont want to go pay $50.00 to find out that this guy lied to me. Can anyone help me out here?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Your profile reads Ca, but your asking about living in KY. I assume you are moving to KY. Crst is not one of the better places. Hometime is not good, nor is the equipment. I would do a lot of research before I went with them.

4. Jokerzwild

Dec 18, 2008
    Riverside, Ca
    I need my CDL after that I will move on to something better if I have too.

5. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    I'm in my 5th month with CRST.

Living in KY won't be a problem

.22 a mile during training isn't exactly correct. You'll make $350/wk during your 28 days with the trainer, then .22/mi. Bump to .24/mi after 3 months then bump to .33/mi after 6 months

You won't get rich, but you won't starve either, but you'll need a 2nd income from the wife for sure during the first 6 months.

I can't help you about the medical, since I'm lucky and my wife has good medical, but I know they offer what they call a medical bridge that gives you day 1 benefits, and then after 6 months you get on the full medical plan.

6. Jokerzwild

Dec 18, 2008
    Riverside, Ca
    I am now in training with CRST. Its not that bad and some my questions have been answered. Most of the people I have talked too say that you are going to make about $1,700 a week after the first year. Its how much you want to run.

7. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They must be talking about doing a lease
    Ask around. a company driver wont make that
    And with a lease only if they have the miles for you
    But I wish you luck

8. Jokerzwild

Dec 18, 2008
    Riverside, Ca
    Im sure thats what they were talking about because thats what I was asking about. Thats what my plans are as of right now. But then again I havent pass my breaktest Check yet.

9. schristopher69

schristopher69 Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    How's it going? I am a trainer for CRST, who trains new drivers out of Orientation for 28 days. I have worked for CRST since June 20, 2007. No matter what you hear, what people say, or what you see, CRST is not a bad company. It is a training compnay, and is known just for that. It is a fully functionable, freight hauling, trucking company. Just as Swift, Schneider, Werner, and many others. Don't be afraid to use CRST as a company who offers training for the start of your career which if you want can be rewarding, even if you stay with CRST. Where you live, really doesn't matter. ALL, dispatchers are located in Cedar Rapids IA, trucks based in and out of EVERYWHERE!! I live in Portland Oregon, my closest terminal is Fontana CA. Next one is Cedar Rapids IA. We used to have a terminal in Seattle, where I was originally based out of. They closed it, moved dispatcher back to Cedar Rapids, I still go home to Portland, park my truck in Portland. The question is that can you find a co-driver in your area. More than likely, yes. People live everywhere. Your pay? Starting out will be rough, $50 bucks a day is pennies to live on, sacrifice and live through it, it gets better. CRST allows advances, from experience, if you utualize this option, be careful. It's like the court system, once your in, it's hard to get out. I lived for the first 4 months of employment, getting check stubs with a - in front of the amount. Eat crackers and cheese, eat cheap, not out of truck stops...... Walmart stock up, splurdge when possible and purchase inverter, micro, and small fridge. Shop grocery stores not, truck stops. Treat yourself to a sit down meal, once a week, or never if your ok with that. We all know eating out is not cheap. After 28 days, you start out at making 22 cents a mile, it's getting better, but there are times, you wish you were still making 50 bucks a day. Get through it, it gets better. 26 cents a mile a couple months later, you will start seeing your pocket book fill, and stay filled, 33 cents a mile, I was making and saving at least 1000-1500 a month after paying bills. CRST wants you to make money, they want to make money, you are their lifeline as much as they, yours. If freight is slow, you may feel it, but its not CRST that is slowing the freight, it is the shippers. During your 28 days, if you opted to insure you and your family for medical, this will be deducted from your pay, insurance, and the map packet, and if you took the drivers attorney will be deducted from your pay beginning immediately. If CRST paid for your transportation, and motel, DURING school, this will begin being deducted # $40 a week, after your 28 days. You are not charged for motel costs during the 3-4 day orientation. Don't listen to what truckers say on the CB, or in the truck stops. Good, professional, drivers is what ANY company needs. It sounds like you are a concerned person who wants to make the right choice. After 8 months I began training, making more money, getting a top of the line, brand new truck. I am not sorry that I chose CRST to start my career, and CRST is not paying me to tell you what I just wrote. This only comes from my experience. Good Luck!! If I can help you anymore, feel free to respond.

boxkicker and 4Bear Thank this.
  10. Jokerzwild

Dec 18, 2008
    Riverside, Ca
    Thanks Chris. I start with my lead driver Sunday. I hope to see you on the road. stay safe.

11. abdiver12

abdiver12 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Here's what it boils down to with CRST in the first 6 months: You'll be making around 900 a month after taxes (if you're lucky) and the truck will be running almost 24/7. It'll feel like you're working around the clock even when you're not driving because the truck hardly ever stops. 95% of your life will be spent either at the wheel or in the sleeper. And I hope (unlike my former teammate) that you can sleep in a loud, moving vehicle and can switch from day to night shifts in the snap of the finger. Making so little money for working 24/7 and having no life is the hardest thing to endure in my opinion. Best of luck Sunday and hope you get a good trainer like I did!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.