What's the stupidest thing you've ever had a dispatcher or office rat tell you?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by diesel_weasel, Aug 19, 2010.

1. diesel_weasel

diesel_weasel Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Rochester, MN
    Mine would have to be a load I was assigned at 430 PM on a Friday afternoon, Picking up in Valparaiso, IN deadheading from Hampshire, IL. Dispatcher wanted me there by NLT 630PM. When I explained to him that there was a bit of a dilemma making it there on time, the CH Robinson Dispatcher in his almighty wisdom said and I quote "So what's the problem? It's only a couple inches on the map..."

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RenegadeTrucker

RenegadeTrucker Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Montana
    They wanted me to bounce 600 miles to pick up a load that paid 1.25 a mile.

Texas-Nana Thanks this.
  4. Aces

Aces Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    "traffic on the I-405 Fridays at 4:40 pm near LAX is not that bad."

5. Texas-Nana

Texas-Nana Princess Drives-a-Lot

Apr 23, 2008
    Nana's empty nest
    "It doesn't matter what the fleet manager says. You do what I tell you to do." :biggrin_25523:

He was a bit surprised when I went to the fleet manager and repeated his words. :biggrin_25522:

Wargames and Lilbit Thank this.
  6. RenegadeTrucker

RenegadeTrucker Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Montana
    It isnt, that is because it is no longer considered traffic when all the cars are parked!:biggrin_25523:

7. Aces

Aces Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    your right driver it called CRAWLING

8. oldmacksrule

oldmacksrule Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I never had one say or do anything stupid, actually.

Maybe the reason (part of it, anyway) was because everywhere I worked the driver made his own delivery appointments and arrangements. That's common (maybe the norm?) in flatbedding since the freight is so variable. You take some pretty odd stuff to some pretty odd places, and that sort of inconsistency doesn't lend itself to "canned" solutions spit out by a computer program, or some airhead looking at an atlas. The dispatchers all knew that, and gave the driver as much latitude as they needed to get the job done. In short, they tended to stay out of your business of driving the truck.

Which isn't to say I didn't get routed through downtown Pottsville, PA, or Elizabeth, NJ a time or two, :biggrin_2559: but I never followed dispatcher directions without double checking them, anyway, so no harm done.

9. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    probably when i used to run with a day cab from Mass to Va, i was told, "there is a motel at every exit along the highway".........to wit i would respond, "you're right, but not every motel at every exit has truck parking"........

Wargames, RockinChair and TRKRSHONEY Thank this.
  10. MassHole

MassHole Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2010
    wareham, mass
    wow. i dont even know where to begin on that one. you should've said good im glad you know how to read a map, congrats haha

11. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    dispatch words of wisdom"--just put some cardboard in front of the hazmat--they wont see it when you drop the walmart food"

TRKRSHONEY and CondoCruiser Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.