What's the word on these guys?

Discussion in 'Interstate' started by FwL, Sep 7, 2011.

1. FwL

FwL Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID
    I took a trip into Spokane WA from Sandpoint ID today. Passed two Interstate trucks on the way out of Sandpoint. Saw at least 3 more on the highway to Coeur D'Alene and at least 5 or 6 more on the freeway between CDA and Spokane.

I definitely saw more Interstate trucks than any other single company. They must be moving some freight... at least in the northwest.

Any current drivers around?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jagerbomber3.0

jagerbomber3.0 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2009
    They are based out of Washington so you should see a strong showing from them out that way. I have read on here that they have been going through some troubles but I do still see alot of them all over the place.

4. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    CountryboyandGiggles were recently employed by them. Ms. Giggles is frequently found on the Where Are You thread. She might be able to give you the inside skinny on the company.

5. Blackadder47

Blackadder47 Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Eugene, Or
    Saw about 10 Interstate truck heading west across I-80 in Wyoming and Nebraska today, I'll be applying with them in October.

6. cool35

cool35 Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Everywhere
    When I worked there my trucks were constantly in the shop. Lost a lot of good loads to those automatics they had. Hope they don't use those anymore. Good company, teams get priority and better pay. I was making 47 cpm there. If you can keep your truck moving then go for it. This was in 2007 though. My friend I quit due to all the break downs and the company seemed to not be caring at all. Spent a lot of time on the road. 3 weeks on and 3 days off. Had us running across I-70 a lot. Hardly anywhere else. Great pay if you can keep rolling.

7. ChuckK70

ChuckK70 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    I was with these people for 18 months, from January 2010 until June 30, 2011. Despite having over 6yrs experience when I hired on I was only given .32 + .04, not .36 + .04 like their website at the time stated. I took the job anyways because I had to get working again right away and finding a job in trucking during the week between Christmas and New Years is a real nightmare.

To say that their old, junk million-mile trucks break down a lot and cost you loads is an understatement. They also do not pay breakdown pay. And should you have to go into the shop in Fontana or Tacoma? Good luck driver, most times it'll take 2 to 3 days before your truck even gets in the shop. The autoshift was always going out on it and seemed to be a common problem company-wide.

They are also not very driver-friendly. After two breakdowns on the west coast in a week, I was given a loaner in Fontana so I could get some freight to move me towards home after 8 weeks on the road. Two hours out of Fontana the A/C gave out. Long story short... they do not see A/C as anything more than a "driver convenience" item, like an AM/FM radio or some such. The company memo that hangs on the wall next to the write-up desk in Fontana even tells you so. Lack of A/C will not qualify you for a loaner truck nor will it qualify you for a motel room. A driver in a truck stop in OK told me I should just take my truck to a weigh station and it'd be put OOS, because everything has to function. I told him that that might be true but there is another fact of life at IDC he wasn't aware of: get put OOS and your odds of being terminated are better than 50-50. Told him I was better off quitting at my convenience rather than getting fired on the road and trying to find a way home with all the junk from my truck.

So... after 8 days of 100F+ every day, freight finally got me to St. Louis. From there I had a short 450 miles to Findlay, OH to get it fixed. Nope. It was decided to give me a trip down to Dallas and it's 105F heat first. Three days later when I did finally get to Findlay to write my truck up before my hometime, the shop foreman tells me I ought to drive the truck as it is because he has no parts. I inform him that I am going home for four days and will call him the day before I head back out to see if my truck is done or not. I totally cleaned out my truck while waiting for my wife to drive the 90 miles to come and get me. I was NOT going back out if they did not fix it. Period.

While on my hometime I went to a local job fair and talked to the Vice-President of Safety and Human Resources for my present company (National Distributors). I was highly impressed with them.

I called Interstate like I said I would and found my truck was fixed so I headed back out for one last three week stint. A little over a week into it and I'm now getting starved out (less than 1000 miles a week) so I bailed a week early after arriving in Findlay.

Bottom line: When the truck would stay running I could haul down some miles with these people, no doubt. But at my pay scale, I needed a 3200mi week in order to bring home $800! And with the junk equipment there were not enough of those weeks to make up for all the $250-$450 weeks and we had fallen 2 house payments behind. So the A/C incident was the final straw that caused me to kick them to the curb.

Ironically, my truck here at NDL is in the shop right now. First time in two months of driving for them. National's trucks are older than IDC's but are in far superior mechanical condition. And this company is driver-friendly too. My A/C went out in Nevada on my way to CA. Had to come back thru AZ, NM and a few days in TX. But not only did they route me right back ASAP, they also paid for a motel room any night I asked to because of the heat. Try that with IDC!

This is just one driver's experience with IDC. Use it how you will, I just want you to be aware of some of what you may encounter yourself.

8. Professional-Trucker

Professional-Trucker Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2011
    California
    The CSA scores are under 38% on all 5 categories. The Better Business Bureau have 'em set with an A+ rating.:biggrin_25514:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.