What's up with grocery warehouses?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    I've only been pulling reefer for a bit over a month now and love it for the most part. I keep getting sent to these grocery warehouses that take 12+ hours to unload which is ridiculous. Americold is the worst. Walmart DC isn't as bad.

What is it that takes long about these places exactly? Last night I delivered to Americold, was given a door 3 hours past my appointment time, I was unloaded in 45 minutes and they spent 4 hours "counting". I did a local job 2 years ago where I waited 26 hours to be unloaded, seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Some places with the exact same load will count in less than an hour.

Dino soar, Dave_in_AZ, alds and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MRMTRANS

MRMTRANS Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Its been a long time since I regularly went to grocery warehouses. One thing is for sure, everything is supply/demand driven. Who knows in particular circumstances you've encountered. It might be a staff shortage. Warehouses tend to take care of their regulars first in such cases. Or they over order and have to wait to clear space. 25-30 years ago it was common for warehouses to "use" trucking company's trailers for storage space. Whatever the case, the only thing you can do is get detention pay written in the contract before taking a load to maybe incentives them to unload you in a reasonable amount of time.

4. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    You didn't pay out of pocket for the lumper service, so you go to the back of the line.

You can be in and out, if you just cough up $100 on the spot.

####ing vultures.

Dino soar, peterd, Dave_in_AZ and 9 others Thank this.
  5. MRMTRANS

Apr 28, 2015
    Yes, bribery might work, too (Lol).

6. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    What part of hauling a reefer do you love most? No sarcasm intended.

7. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I'll intend the sarcasm then. I don't see how any of it is lovable at all. In fact, I've thought about this for at least a million miles and I have absolutely no idea why anyone would haul reefer over van. There is no way the small premium is worth the headaches, schedule, all of it.

8. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    It’s the lumpers that are inefficient and lazy and cause the long waits. And what the hell they do to justify the fees, I have no idea. $630 at Safeway in Auburn, WA yesterday.

Dino soar, Dave_in_AZ, alds and 5 others Thank this.
  9. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    The white noise from the reefer puts me and keeps me asleep for one thing. Hauling fruits and vegetables is also fun, most of the time I can take home a bunch of produce. Also it gives me something more to do on a daily basis like regularly checking the temperature and fuel etc. I get paid for these long detentions at $25 an hour so I don't really mind the sitting either.

10. MRMTRANS

Apr 28, 2015
    I have a dedicated run now, but I used to like running in the agricultural areas off the beaten path.

Coffey, Dino soar, 650cat425 and 3 others Thank this.
  11. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Most food warehouses suck.

Coffey, Dino soar, okiedokie and 7 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.