When do you scale?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by lovesthedrive, Sep 11, 2009.

1. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Ok I am trying to find out. When am I to scale a load? Is this to happen religious like (IE every load)? I have driven for a couple of companies and scaled only when they mention it.

I read Snowwy's thread on fictitious trucking. It was fascinating to say the least. Yet he didnt say anything about scaling the load either.

Yet please tell me otherwise. Thankyou

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    Well this is what I always told my students. When in doubt, weigh. $9 is cheap insurance against a 2-3-4 thousand dollar ticket. If the gross product weight is 30,000 or more weigh. If you are not sure of you axle weight or the weight is not balanced between drives and tandems, Weight. It is better to spend $9 to find out everything is good to go then to be stuck at the scales trying to figure out how to correct you laziness.

4. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    well i was always told that you never legal till you scale,
    and not only that, but if u givin an o/w ticket thats ur record and ur money. not the company u work for,
    ur a proffesional driver, ur supposed to no ur load, and no the weights,
    i have a volvo, and i have air guages in the dash that let me no how heavy i am on the steers and drives, but only by psi, and when i got the truck i scaled everything, so that i could get an idea of where my psi guage cant go above, ie, my steers cant go above 104psi, and my drives cant go above 62-63 psi or ill be over, 104psi will put my steers at about 12,300, and 63 psi will put my steers right at 34,000 even!
    but those guages are just to give an idea.
    most people will tell u they no when to scale just by driving a few feet, others say they scale if the load is above 37,xxx punds,
    just my .02s

The Challenger and RockyWI Thank this.
  5. madbunny

madbunny Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    We scale every load at a CAT scale (usually can find one of those)...never trust a shipper's scale.

The Challenger and kinnakeet04 Thank this.
  6. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Loves the drive, here's your answer in plain English. Since you are only allowed to carry so much weight (payload) in your wagon, and only so much weight per axle, and since you are not a clever fellow, how else would you know if you have too much weight in your wagon or on your axles UNLESS you weigh it? Make sense? Experienced drivers can forget about weighing their load if they moniter the loading and the product is very light, such as ping pong balls or 3 pallets of corn flakes. Now you know....

7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    At Western Express they told me the weight was to be X amount. So I took it at face value.

But it sounds to be a good plan. Anything 30,000+ should be scaled. Thankyou, that is the most helpful answer.

I dont know if I will ever get back into trucking, but should I do, it would be nice to know for arguments sake.

8. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    it also depends on your truck and trailer. generally, I don't scale unless the load is over 40,000 lbs, espcially if I have a shipper who is loading in a way I don't like. I only marginally trust my dash guage.

9. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Like KaBar I scale it at 30k. If the load is in 20 to 30k range it would depend how its loaded. Its also a good idea to scale your truck with full tanks and a mt trailer. That way you know how much freight you can put on.

10. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    I don't have an on-board device, so I simply use the ol' "Hmmmm...not sure about this one" technique.

After a dozen years, I know I can eyeball a good majority of the loads I get as I go to a lot of the same places. However, if there is any doubt, I scale it (and almost always if the bills say 44K or more).

I remember a load about seven or eight years ago. I picked up the preloaded trailer, and the bills just said "merchandise" (it was going from a distribution center to a single store, a small home-improvement chain). Bills said 40,000 pounds.

I left out and had to cross a rather bumpy railroad track leaving the place. Man, did it bounce. Easy decision for me, so I scaled it. I figured I"d have to go back and the load was unbalanced.

Total gross weight: 48K and change. The load was about 16,000. But it was all in the nose (so at least I got THAT part right!). I was legal, but that was the roughest riding load I'd had up to that point. But if I hadn't scaled it, I would have been far less relaxed.

11. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    I have onboard scales on tractor and trailer and they are very accurate if used properly. The truck and trailer must be on level ground! Then load and check weight, Mine is just a needle width below 60 on the drives (34,000) and no more than 70 on the trailer(40,000/10 FOOT SPREAD) It is almost impossible to overload my steers even with my fifth wheel all the way forward unless I'm over 84,000.

The best rule is...When in doubt, Weigh it!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.