When is the right time to step out on your own?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mwehrle, Mar 9, 2018.

1. mwehrle

mwehrle Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2018
    Ogden, Utah
    Would you do it while taking on debt to buy a truck and trailer? Or would you save first and wait until you have a cash reserve?

Personally I don't mind taking on debt if I know those resources are going to make me money.

I'd love to do it and see to what level I could succeed, but for practical matters I may be better off taking the local LTL gig and being home every night although I'd probably be sacrificing money taking the LTL gig.

I suppose you could be a regional O/O and be home more often depending upon which lanes you are running --possibly every night or every other. Any O/O's out there that get home multiple times per week?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    I don't believe in debt. Save up and pay for it.

4. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    i prefer that everyone else take on as much debt as possible, it gives me a better chance of succeeding. lol​

Justrucking2 and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    That's one way to look at it.

6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Im happy where im leased and would rather let them take care of the headaches and give up some revenue .
    They have my back in a jam and my truck will carry they're name after its paid off in a year and a half .
    I've no desire to start a trucking company .

7. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Most successful business were started & ran off of other people's money. That's the way all my financial mentors did it & that's the way I'm doing it. You have to be smart about it though. Financing your equipment because you have no cash is not a good way to go about it. If I had $50k in the bank & the truck I wanted was $50k, I wouldn't pay cash for the truck. Truck payments are not bad things unless they are too high (not enough money down) or your rates aren't good. I would put 20% down on the truck & finance the rest. That leaves me plenty of cash in reserves. That's the way I was taught to start a business. Good luck to you.

8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    In this country you can never be sure of a economy staying running strong, make sure you have reserves built up and assets protected. Many good things can vanish over night, sometimes under no control of yours, like having your identity stolen, which can take years to climb out of that hole, meanwhile those who did it are living the good life you worked for. Cash

RStewart Thanks this.
  9. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    You are not ready to own a truck and carry your own authority. If you must buy a truck, find an older one, non EPA preferably with a fresh and documented in frame and lease it on to a small carrier until you figure this racket out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.