When loading or unloading, off or on duty

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by ulenie, Nov 27, 2018.

1. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    What is the consenses on this. I am just sitting in the truck waiting for them to finish. To save my hours I want to log it as off duty

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Off duty or sleeper

flood, Redtwin and Tall Mike Thank this.
  4. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Sleeper Berth. You have a responsibility to the truck, and the company so by definition, you could not log
    "off duty"

5. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    we log off duty they prefer that we show 5 minutes or so on duty for closing doors ect. .... if you are not unloading the truck there is no reason to log on duty more than that . ...... except for split sleeper there's not any difference between sleeper or off duty .... and it is impossible to log in to sleeper berth anyways in most trucks ........... for those technical idiots most eLogs are on the dash or a post in front of the truck so you can not be in the sleeper and reach the elog to log in to the sleeper so if you're not in the sleeper it is illegal to log it as you are ....... the point being 99.999 % of dot officer's won't care and either you have responsibility to the truck and are on duty and sleeper or off duty doesn't matter. ...... in other words you only have so many hours to work and if you want to waste them at a dock go ahead but I don't and haven't for over 30 years through countless inspections and no one has ever said anything. .... now if I know for sure that I will not need the hours or going to get a reset I will just log it all on duty just to make things look different

6. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2018
    If you are supervising the load or operating the truck you are on duty.
    If you are resting, taking a break or sleeping you are off duty or sleeper berth.
    You cannot be both resting and supervising or operating.

Nothereoften Thanks this.
  7. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Drivers;"How come we don't get paid for loading or unloading"...
    Company;" We don't pay for off duty time"

special-k, mateynine and Silver Wolf Thank this.
  8. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    It all depends. Some plants I spot the truck/trailer and go to the break room while the operator loads. I’m off duty.
    If I have to pump off I stay on duty because I get paid for pump offs.

9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I think it On-Duty unless you go in the sleeper. You are Attending a commercial vehicle. We are not free to walk away or do anything we want. We are required to be their waiting, even if just sitting in driver seat.

(5) All time loading or unloading a commercial motor vehicle, supervising, or assisting in the loading or unloading, attending a commercial motor vehicle being loaded or unloaded, remaining in readiness to operate the commercial motor vehicle, or in giving or receiving receipts for shipments loaded or unloaded

Nothereoften Thanks this.
  10. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    if you want to waste your hours go ahead

Tall Mike, slim shady and SteerTire Thank this.
  11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    What if someone is involved in traffic accident and their is a death. They go back looking at your log book and see you did not log all the time loading or unloading. They now figure out how many hours you should have logged. That missing time put you over HOS.

Now it's not an accident, now it a criminal act on your part for going over the HOS and killing someone.

This happened to a driver in Florida but he ran into back of a school bus and killed a couple teens in the car stopped behind the school bus that was unloading. His log book was legal at the time. When they looked back and found he did not log all his time correct. They figured out real HOS. He was now over his HOS but he was only trying to save time so he could work more. He did not want to waste all his hours.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.