When mega CDL mills tell you to apply with Commercial Permit in hand...

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Adieu, Jul 29, 2019.

1. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    No, DOT wants people to obtain one from there home state prior to out of state training. When you pass the CDL skills test scores are put into computer system. You go back to your home state within 30 days for issuance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. COBB2070

COBB2070 Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    NO....Taken directly from the CA DMV website....

Out-of-State CDL Skills Test Results

If you have a California CLP and have completed your CDL training and CDL skills test (vehicle inspection, basic control skills, and road test) in another state, the results will be sent electronically from the state you were tested in to the California DMV. You will need to go to a DMV Commercial Driving Test Office to finalize your CDL application. Failure to return to a DMV CDL office may result in your application expiring

Link here...Driver License (DL) and Identification (ID) Card Information

Now it's up to the state/school to follow through with that.
    The school doesn't want to deal with that. They want you, if you pass, on the road making them money, not wasting their time on paperwork.

4. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Then CA needs to change their manual.

1.1.1 – Knowledge Tests
    You must take 1 or more knowledge tests, depending on what class of license and what en- dorsements you need. If the applicant is adding an endorsement, but not upgrading to a higher classification, waive all knowledge and endorse- ment tests that were completed or waived on the previous application, including HazMat, if the new application is started within 12 months of the previous renewal date or original CDL issue date. The CDL knowledge tests include:
    • The general knowledge test, taken by all applicants.
    • The passenger transport test, taken by all bus driver applicants.
    • The air brakes test, which you must take if your vehicle has air brakes, including air over hydraulic brakes.
    • The combination vehicles test, which is required if you want to drive combination vehicles.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  5. COBB2070

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    Point well made. I misspoke in that there are only 2 test you need to take for the "basic" CLP, general knowledge and air brake knowledge. If you want to drive a bus, you need to take the passenger test, HazMat you need to take that test, etc... The only time combination needs to be tested for the CLP is doubles/triples (triples not legal in CA). Basically if you show up at the CA DMV with your medical long form, pay the fee and take the general knowledge and air brake test and pass, you'll walk out with a CLP you can take to a mega. Restrictions would be "no passenger", "no hazmat", "no tanker", "no doubles/triples". It's what you test in that determines whether you get an "A" or "B" CDL.

6. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Again they need to change their manual if that is true. If it is true you are basically stating that the CA manual is consistent with the FMCSRs, but in practice the state is not. According to their manual if all you take is GN and AB, you get a Class B CLP. For an A you also take combination. For the doubles and triples endorsement (T) you also take the D&T test.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  7. COBB2070

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    Later today I'll call Sacramento CMV enforcment and ask and post what they tell me. At the DMV they told me I just needed the 2 because they don't have a combination test. Maybe they combine the general and combination tests for the CLP. They did tell me that if I want to add tanker or passenger in the future, it's better to take those tests at the same time as the others because if you add them later, you have to make a specific appointment. For HazMat either original issue or add on, an appointment is necessary.

8. COBB2070

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    @dibstr Just got off the phone with CA DMV commercial division in Sacramento (after I talked to the local office and they didn't know) and you are correct and I was misinformed. She actually said my question is the more common ones they have because the website isn't clear and most people in their offices don't know. Good thing I haven't gone a paid to take the permit test yet. She said part of the problem is, that while you can only test for the CDL at specific locations, a CLP an be issued at any office. And not everyone in those offices know about the variety of restrictions and endorsements CA has so it's hit or miss on who you ask about what.
    @Adieu I have the number for them, message me if you want it, I don't think we're allowed to post phone numbers.

Gambosa Thanks this.
  9. Gambosa

Gambosa Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    You have to have a DOT medical card to drive, but not to get your permit.

10. Gambosa

Gambosa Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Been too long since I got my permit and medical card lol I forgot the DMV asked for my medical card before they issued my permit. My bad :-(

11. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    383.71 (h) Medical certification documentation required by the State. An applicant or CLP or CDL holder who certifies to non-excepted, interstate driving operations according to §383.71(b)(1)(i) must comply with applicable requirements in paragraphs (h)(1) through (3) of this section:

(1) New CLP and CDL applicants. (i) Before June 22, 2021, a new CLP or CDL applicant who certifies that he/she will operate CMVs in non-excepted, interstate commerce must provide the State with an original or copy (as required by the State) of a medical examiner's certificate prepared by a medical examiner, as defined in 49 CFR 390.5, and the State will post a medical qualifications status of “certified” on the CDLIS driver record for the driver;

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Gambosa and Adieu Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.