When on your 10 hour break

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LogsRus, Apr 7, 2008.

1. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I want to know how many of you are spending your 10 hour breaks!
    Only if you are taking your full 10 hour breaks! If you are not taking full 10 hour breaks but logging a full 10 hour break just comment to the thread.

Anyone please elaberate on the thread to descricbe. I hate doing surveys but I am very VERY very VERY CURIOUS as to what is really going on out there and may be the key answer to the rules for logs! I HOPE:biggrin_2557:

lets see if I can do this one right :biggrin_25521:

1). Do you spend the 1st part of your 10 hour break sleeping
    2). Do you spend the last part of your 10 hour break sleeping
    3). Do you spend your time talking to family, internet etc and not take much of a break at all.
    4) I spend most of my time awake not sleeping and ready to pick up another load, hence "no sleep".

Please elaberate on how you spend your 10 hour breaks please. I am really wondering what you do on them breaks. Do you fib on your log just to get the next load.

I know many accidents happen within the first few momments to 5 hours of being off duty. That can mean a 10 or 34 hour break. What's up with this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MommaKay

MommaKay Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    I generally spend the middle part of my 10 sleeping. I'll get parked, do my post-trip, go have a bite to eat, come back to the truck and chill, call home, then go to bed. I generally wake up about 2 - 1 1/2 hours before I plan to start my day, clean up and get dressed, have coffee and breakfast, shower if needed and available (if available, it's probably needed), review my paperwork, do my qualcomm stuff and start my day. Total time sleeping, perhaps 6 hours, sometimes more. Rarely less.

4. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Have you ever had a DOT reportable accident? If so what time did it happen after your 10 hour break "be honest" even if you was illegal.

If you don't feel comfortable answering on the board then send me a pm.

5. cat 500

cat 500 <strong>"Kitty Cat"</strong>

Oct 24, 2007
    florida
    That is just about how my husband spends his 10 hrs.

6. Otter

Otter Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Milton, VT.
    I drive durning the day and sleep at night, when I go off duty I do my post trip inspection, point the dish, (DirecTv) have something to eat, get on the internet if I'm in a hot spot. I watch some TV and go to sleep. I get up around 06:00, brush my teeth, shave, do my paperwork, feed the cat, and get underway.

7. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    This is pretty much how mine goes.

Park, start the computer, finish up the log book, do a quick email check to see if there is some thing that can't wait, shower and eat, or eat and then shower, go back to truck, wrap up the email internet thing, watch a DVD if there was nothing interesting online. Talk to the wife, go to sleep. Alarm goes off 30 mins before I want to hit the road. I blaze thru email once again, go wash face and get coffee, do pre trip, fill out the log and hit the road.

Almost always I take a full 10 off or close enough to it.

8. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa
    I actually like the 10 hour break. It has given me time to not only get a decent nights sleep but to get a shower and eat as well. Under the old rules an 8 hour break just didnt seem to be long enough to eat, shower, and get 7 to 8 hours sleep.

I have too much at stake to not stay compliant at this stage of the game.

As for what I do I finish my paperwork, then go and get a shower, have something to eat, go back out to the truck and get online for an hour or so (if I am not tired that is) otherwise I will go to bed right away and blow off the computer for a day or so.

9. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Since I've never driven for a company that will always hound you about your time off and driving time I probably took closer to 9 hrs off back when the rule was 8 minimum off. Like you said only 8 wasn't enough time. Now days 10 seems like too much some days if I'm really raring to go and get some thing done.

10. CaptCaveman

CaptCaveman <strong>"Positive Pessimist"</strong>

Aug 4, 2007
    Amarillo Tx
    I usually do my PTI then eat, shower, laundry etc then internet or read. I sleep about six or seven hours,wake up thirty minutes before start time to get woke up and get my truck warm. I occasionally do an 8/2 split when I have a tight drop time but I don't make a habit of it. I like my 10 hr down time.

11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I too liked the ten hour down time when I was OTR. I didn't have a particular "routine" but it allows for more flexibility in doing what you feel like, when you feel like it. Of course it helps to plan out your trip so you aren't stuck for your "ten down" at some remote rest area. DUH.:biggrin_25523:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.