When the truck does weird things, let a pro look at it.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Farmerbob1, Dec 28, 2018.

1. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Or shut it off select gear if it grinds too much that way

kylefitzy and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Clutch brake wear "shouldn't" matter (to a point of course) since when you adjust a clutch you're setting the gap between the release bearing and the brake. Now if your self adjusting clutch has seized up and is no longer adjusting, that is a different story.

There is no set mileage a clutch "should" last either. Clutches last different lengths of time in different applications.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  4. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    If I am careful, she just bumps faces lightly for about 5 seconds before meshing.

Lepton1 and magoo68 Thank this.
  5. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    All our shop does I swear is replace stupid sensors that do nothing, but break. This week I was driving down the road and beep beep beep beep Critical Mass Critical Mass the coolant sensor decided to die and go to sensor heaven.

Thank goodness the company shop is so used to fixing these things that I was able to call the woman who runs the scheduling for the shop and they got the truck in at night and back to me by morning and everything was fine, but some of these trucks have to many electronics that aren't needed.

Lepton1 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Well, my truck now has a clutch brake again.

After a few conversations with mechanics, I think I know what happened:

1) Minor leak in transmission slave cylinder was apparently the cause of first failure.

2) The slave cylinder was replaced, but the air in the system was apparently not bleed out properly.

3) Clutch brake returned after a couple days of driving, as the air bled out of the lines due to normal use, allowing the cylinder to fully extend so it could actuate the clutch brake.

So, all seems to be well again, and I learned something!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Had that on my last truck, SAM something or other.

Those tail lights are close enough together that the connector for right will reach left and vice versa. Before changing 'em you can check if the light is the issue by plugging in the other connector.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.