When they say "I don't have that much in it" is it even a correct statement?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by TallJoe, Sep 23, 2017.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I hear it the most often from Landstar brokers. However, I never heard anything like that from CHR, or Coyote yet. They just say no, or they say that they have to consult their customer. So how does it work? Are the brokers intermediaries, similar to real estate agents who only convey offers and get their commissions, if so, then they don't have anything on it from the very beginning, they are supposed to convey the offer. It is not like they had already "bought" a load themselves and it is "theirs" and there is nothing they can do...Am I right?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    simple: NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

your truck is your business, run it like such, else get a new tax-id for a non-profit and call it: TallJoe "Goodwill" Trucking Inc.

KB3MMX and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  4. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    Actually they do buy the loads and then sell them off cheaper. Learn when to be empty and your profits will rise.

KB3MMX and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  5. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    I have found that late Friday afternoon is a great time to be empty.

6. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    Yep, but Thursday afternoon's are the day I like best to be empty. The brokers are starting to sweat, but you can take that afternoon and Friday morning to really let them stew. I've seen loads posted at 1.30 a mile on Monday and booked them Thursday afternoon or Friday morning at better than twice that. Failing to deliver on a load is pure death for a broker...get them at the right time, with the right load for.one of their best customers and the leeches will book it at a loss...love it when that happens.

Of course, direct ship customers are the best. I personally cant stand to have some desk jockey making money of my sweat and effort.

7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    A lot of times Landstar agents simply double broker loads. They can't call the original broker back and ask for more money.

8. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
  9. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    It's my default response when I don't have that much in it. Using the phrase "I don't have that much in it" as a bluff is terrible and transparent... And the kind of people who use it as a bluff are completely full of #### generally. I usually say something like "Sorry he/she won't pay that much... but we'll see what they have to say about it if the load is still around at now + 2 hours". A completely true statement generally.

I'm a big believer in the idea that if you are generally honest about things people will be able to tell and trust you more. I think that how you think about other people filters through when you are speaking with them, so I do my best to try to put myself in their spot. That empathy goes a long way.

Nearly every situation where I find myself lying is a situation where the truck has a fine coming and I'm telling them everything will be OK so that they will deliver the load without holding it hostage. Happens almost never, but there are some ####ty trucking companies that lie constantly to get loads with no intention of actually providing the service they agreed to. They do things like be massively late for appointments without telling anyone, or indeed even giving us a real update about when they will arrive once we find out they aren't where they are supposed to be. These kinds of outfits make the job of talking the customer out of a fine almost impossible... But if they suspect that they might get fined they will literally refuse to deliver the load until they are paid by comcheck. Usually I found out after the fact that the carrier I used double brokered the load to some outfit with tons of complaints on truckstop/dat/tia who I never would have used without the lying to start with. Get me into one of these situations and I'll say whatever I have to say to get out. Sorry not sorry.

10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Whenever they say it, it does not affect me that much. If the gap is not substantial, I tend to agree to the rate, if not, I keep looking. Sometimes, however, when the difference is huge to the point that what they offer is stupidly naive and unreasonable, as you can have a few hundred dollars more on a load easily one more call later, I cannot understand what they were thinking when they were getting the load, especially, if they had a firm intention to double broker it, knowing that they would not have any recourse action. So yes, they either bluff or made a huge misjudgment.
    But what I was asking about was answered; there are situations when brokers are stuck with their rate and it happens when they double broker.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    TallJoe.........

I Know your a newer carrier and I see you seem to have a decent work ethic,
    I'm going to give you some rock solid,friendly advice....

Please Start soliciting your own customers, Even if its only your Outbound freight, It's simply the way to go.

These Brokers Will always provide you with a Headache in negotiating a rate that you need..........Sure,Things are Good Right Now, But come December,When your calling Load boards for freight.....Frustration returns.

But it goes beyond that- The Wasted Time Playing around with them......("let me check with my customer" etc) Will get to you after a while,

take it from a guy that's been around a while- Go get your own customers- You'll appreciate the difference in all directions of business......

KB3MMX, Eska, Dave_in_AZ and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.