When to book your next load, and be square with brokers?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by TallJoe, Feb 8, 2017.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Being fairly new to the game of running with my own MC#, I am trying to do things "responsibly"
    (I don't want to have negative reviews on my MC, if they mean anything) , and thus naively perhaps. I hesitate a lot before I book my next load for the fear that I may have a receiving delay, and may not be able to satisfy shipper demand to meet their pick up appointment. But then booking a good load the same day, after I get empty, is next to impossible. So I look for loads with late or open pick up times, but they are not always there.
    Is it considered a very bad practice from a brokers perspective to have a carrier call you 2 hours before the pick up appointment and inform you about the delay?
    At what point you'd expect this to be communicated?
    Should I communicate all these concerns beforehand, for example like this "I have my delivery in Walmart DC Coldwater MI at 7 am tomorrow, so I should be all right to be in Fort Wayne, at noon, if they don't delay..."
    Or is it a normal trade aspect to book a load withing reasonable mile radius and time frame and worry about any delays, obstacles when they happen. What's the fair game from a broker perspective?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Most brokers freight will work with you at least somewhat. Make sure you build an extra 2-3 hours for #### happens into your plan for the days where you get unloaded/loaded.

If you communicate clearly what is going on no broker is every going to have a problem with you getting delayed an hour or two. This is the trucking business and brokers know #### happens. They just don't want to get surprised.

"I have my delivery in Walmart DC Coldwater MI at 7 am tomorrow, so I should be all right to be in Fort Wayne, at noon, if they don't delay..." Is completely fine. Make sure you communicate to the broker exactly what your situation is and it's up to him if he wants to take the chance.

Don't be too concerned if some broker yells at or threatens you because you tell him something is going wrong. Sometimes people are angry about something not related to you. If a broker is yelling about you being an hour late something else is going wrong.

Now if he tells you clearly that they will only accept you until noon and you're late to your WM appointment... you need to tell him the second it looks like you're going to be late. Don't hope that they will empty you when you know ###### well that you'll probably sit for a day.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  4. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    If I book a same day load while I'm still loaded, I always inform the broker before he sends a rate con. Most of the time they tell me I have until Xpm to be there or I can pick up first thing in the morning. I think I've only had 1 load in 2016 the the broker didn't want to give me because the shipper had a strict appointment policy and it was a hot load. Otherwise, they never have a problem with that.

Definitely don't lie to them and tell them you're empty when you're not just to get a load, especially if it's something hot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.