When working for Trucking company, where do you park truck during time off or 34 hour resets?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Labrador, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Labrador

Labrador Light Load Member

May 31, 2018
    When working for Trucking company, where do you park truck during time off or 34 hour resets? For example., lets say you work for Prime Transportation, but the terminal is 100 miles away from where you live?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    At a location approved by the company.

Labrador Thanks this.
  4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    You generally work that out with your company.

Most large companies want the truck parked at their yard. Small companies generally are pretty flexible, mid size are somewhere in between.

If you have safe and legal parking at/near your house it can be an option. When I say safe/legal I do NOT mean the truckstop down the street and I MOST CERTAINLY DO NOT mean the neighborhood big box store.

5. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I'll take a 34 out on the road when needed. I just (hopefully) find a decent truck stop to chill at. I tend to stay out a couple months so I get about a week's worth of hometime when I go home. Nearest terminal to my home is about 170 miles away. I just keep my Jeep parked there at the terminal. Usually have some maintenance needed when I go on hometime, so I get to terminal, unload what I need to into my Jeep, drop my truck off at the shop, or in the bobtail parking area if no maintenance needed, and drive home. I actually like this set up better than bringing my truck home. If truck was parked with me at home, I'd have to be responsible for it. When it's at a terminal, it's on them and I can completely not worry about it.

6. Labrador

May 31, 2018
    Thank you. Yes I was thinking that as well, being responsible for such an expensive machine while parked at home can be an issue.

Canadianhauler21 Thanks this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Except once I've always lived close enough to the company terminal t0 park the truck there while I take home time. It solves a lot of issues. In your case look for a self-storage facility or RV parking facility, or tow companies. Prime might have a customer near you that will allow a Prime truck to park there.

Canadianhauler21 and Labrador Thank this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    If you live in a suburban neighborhood many of them don't allow commercial vehicles to be parked at the house. Many Home Owner Associations prohibit truck parking.

Numb, TravR1 and gentleroger Thank this.
  9. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Way back Chem Leaman closed one location but offered the driver's a chance to transfer to the closest terminal and a few rented a 'room' close to the terminal to take 8 [remember I'm old] during the week.

Numb and Labrador Thank this.
  10. Labrador

May 31, 2018
    Probably a good thing I guess

tscottme Thanks this.
  11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    That's for sure.

You need to get yourself a plot of land where an HOA isn't needed.

I can drive my truck bobtail to my parents house to crash with them over Christmas or any of the other major holidays... but if it wasn't a holiday, their HOA would raise holy hell.

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted