When your done trucking what are you going to do?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Nothereoften, Dec 3, 2018.

1. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Not trying to slam anyone or anything but for the life of me I will never understand why some people feel a NEED to work after they retire . Life is so short and precious to have to keep working . Move over and let the younger generation have the jobs . If you are retired , they need the money not you . Hobbies , charities , travel - there are hundreds of things to occupy some ones time .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Move over and let the younger generation have the jobs? Probably not going to happen.
    A lot of older drivers enjoy what they do. If they're healthy and physically able to continue their careers and be an asset to their company there's no reason why they should be pushed aside by a younger person.
    Most of the older drivers I know worked their way up from bad jobs to better ones to good ones to whatever job they plan on keeping until they retire. They earned their job...and they're still earning it.
    I don't know how old you are but if you have the time I'll let you spend a week or so with some of our senior drivers. I doubt seriously you could stay up with them, on the road or on the ground.
    Have some patience,kid. Some day if you're lucky you'll be the one listening to the younger drivers...the ones with more mouth than actual experience...complain about you old guys.

Feedman and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  4. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I was thinking along those lines.

Still holding out hope to find that ice rink job, driving the Zamboni in exchange for free skating.

I thought going back to trucking this year was going to be a temporary thing. However, age discrimination is limiting my non-trucking industry options.

Also, I'm starting to realize: I think I REALLY DO like trucking.

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I'm done on Monday..for a week anyway.
    Flying out to Vegas to give Nevada money cause I have too much.

BigDog Trucker, O.Henry and IluvCATS Thank this.
  6. Alexander suero

Alexander suero Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2018
    I started thinking just like you 30 uears ago. Sadly I got used to making a big paycheck and couldn't get used to a regular $$ salary. Needless to say Im still driving. Hope you can find something or learn something different after you save up. good luck!

Ffx95 Thanks this.
  7. Alexander suero

Nov 17, 2018
    I spend time in the Philippines. I met a beautiful lady there 15 years ago got married. Also money goes a VERY long way. You can live like a king with maids in a condo overlooking the ocean with less than $1,000 a month. Also near all Asia's beautiful countries. Retiring in 6 years got a condo there. RELAX.....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Ffx95 Thanks this.
  8. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    Fly out to Chicago, since you want to give it away I will take some too!

9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Go visit all the interesting places that I didn't have the time to stop for.

Suspect Zero and Nothereoften Thank this.
  10. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    That sounds like punishment.
    At least I get free drinks while being rolled in Vegas

Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  11. Alexander suero

Nov 17, 2018
    I think you're misunderstanding the retirement need and having money. They are not both synonymous. Most people retire because they have a corporation they gather their retirement checks transfer the income to their wives and keep working because need the money

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.