Where are the drivers needing jobs?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by RoadRanger12, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ramkatral

ramkatral Heavy Load Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    I wouldn't work for a thing but percentage these days. Mileage is BS.

BigBadBill and Ukumfe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    our company is looking to hire. We are home weekends, pay isn't bad. I am getting $900 or better a week before child support comes out.

But you'd have better luck living in MO or MN to get hired.

4. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    It's pretty standard in the expediting industry and keeps companies legal with the IRS when classifying their drivers as contractors.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  5. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I have 2 very good firends (husband and wife) that drive for Fed-Ex Custom Critical. They too do the 60/40 split and love it. Their truck is a 2011 T660 with a cutsom studio sleeper redone by ARI. They travel all over the place, go to some cool places and do a lot of sight seeing (since they pay for the fuel anyways) and still make out well. They only pay for the fuel, that's it. The truck and all it's repairs are the responsiability of the owner. Their truck is getting an average of 11mpg which is good for a Class 8 straight truck i think and they drive 70mph.

The only downside is they do a lot of sitting around waiting for loads, but the one's they do get are in the $4-$6 mile range and it's usually from coast to coast.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  6. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Not bashing your decision at all and respect your feelings, but to ask this of you.

If you were offered a driving job hauling specialized loads, no hazmat just oversize and multidimensional.

You would not take percentage making 65-75 thousand a year as a company driver?

7. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Makes allot of sense then, also if some one that drove like this as a contract employee would have additional deductions and sheltered from the IRS scrutiny.

8. ramkatral

ramkatral Heavy Load Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    I said percentage is all ill do these days. So yea, I'd take it. However, that's how much I make now, so no I wouldn't take it lol.

9. RoadRanger12

RoadRanger12 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Sir, I have not had any problems paying 20% up until now. And YES I am a 1099 employer, a very good one. My drivers were making atleast 1500/wk until I had to get my truck straightend out. So, with that being said, run your truck paying 40% to both drivers and leave yourself high and dry:biggrin_2559:. I am a single parent, business owner and im doing 6 figures on my own and this is only my second year in business....thank you.

ps-my apologies for not answer quick enough to anyone who has written me...I do have other businesses that I run by myself and do not have time to sit and respond right away but I do appreciate it.

10. Treefork

Treefork Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    I thought paying 1099 to employees was illegal? Are they driving their own trucks leased to you at 20%? There's a thread around here somewhere about it.

11. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    It is, but it doesn't stop these couple truck owner ops from doing it, until they piss someone off and they call the IRS. Then they get hit with big fines and back taxes, and go out of business. By paying the larger percentage and having the driver buy the fuel, it gives them skin in the game, and makes it a contractor relationship and not an employer relationship. Since this woman is just paying a straight 20% in wages, she is an employer per the IRS, not a contractor.

To the OP, you're really snide and on a high horse for someone who posted this thread and can't find a driver. As a former fleet owner and independent recruiter for 16 trucking companies, my previous post stands on its own merit. You, your equipment, benefits (obviously) or pay is lacking for your industry, otherwise your truck would be filled. As far as not replying to posters, I was referring to posters on your job wanted ad. If you won't reply to them when they ask you a question, why would they want to work for you? And on a final note, I could care less how much you gross, whether or not your a single parent or one of seven wives. That has zero bearing on anything.

PS, Watch out for the IRS with your pay structure, because when they do come calling, they are going to hit you for all the back taxes owed from the beginning, as well as interest and failure to file penalties.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    MazelTruck and aiwiron Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.