Where are the old timers at?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, Jun 18, 2019.

1. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Yes,things change,,But we DO NOT have to adapt UNLESS it's for the better..And no, we aren't just going to "Give in" and Leave. Real Truckers still in the game, Do things the Right way- irregardless of what changes are forthset.

The Industry Needs us to help with the Young and Novice......

Customers Need us to Feel relaxed and Confident about their freight...

The Motoring Public needs us to feel calm and relaxed sharing the road together.

What NEEDS to go are organizations and people with no care or knowledge of what we do, But are not intimidated one Iota to Sign in a new Law-Or make Changes to What was Working Fine in the first place.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    I’ve been driving truck since 1980 and I tell people all the time in 20 years these this will be the good all days!
    It was fun ,it is fun ,and it will be fun ,it’s all in what you make it but I do miss the days when I hadn’t seen my logbook for about a week or so !!! Lol

D.Tibbitt and frito bandito Thank this.
  4. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Define what an old timer is.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    To me, an "old timer" was the older guy in the shop or the crusty driver that everybody went to for advice,,:yes2557:

REO6205, D.Tibbitt, MACK E-6 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    I'm old, been at it a long time, but I never fit into the stereotype. Been doing it my way for 34 years, still learning every day. Today was another training day for a younger driver, we went and picked up a Caterpillar D6, took it to Finning, then went to the Deere dealer and picked up a 300. On our way to the drop off point now, we will drive until she is out of hours, then get a hotel room.
    Old and miserable ;) I now do less of the really hard work, and spend more time training the next generation, and relaxing.

cke and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’ve once had 40 year drivers come to me with my then roughly 10 years exp asking me how to slide a fifth wheel.

cke, 201 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    hell thats a concept i never could grasp either. LOL i had the shop show me how to push it all the way back, havent touched it since. i dont know how to move it

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    This was back before we had air slides.

With manuals you had to unlatch it before you back under the trailer, and sometimes the pins still needed some persuasion to unbind.

cke and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Well then, i guess I should be happy that being just shy of the sixth decade and more than a third of that at the wheel, I’m not an old timer yet.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Remember the older Macks with those pins you removed? You had to run a "keeper wire" to hold them in once that got worn. Once, I lost a pin in the front on one side and a pin in the back on the other side. The boss freaked out when I showed him that, and told me to run a piece of wire holding them in, I could have lost the wagon,,:eek:,,not the best setup.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.