Where are the old timers at?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by RollinThunderVet, Jun 18, 2019.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    He's also the guy that, when asked for advice, will do the best that he can to help the person asking. You might not like the advice you get but it will be honest and based on many years of experience.

The old timers I've worked with were mostly tanker drivers and loggers. I started in the late 60s. I had trouble when I started out understanding
    why they did things the way they did but after a while it made sense. I was a slow learner and hard headed. That's not a good combination. They were more patient with me than they had to be.

The old timer doesn't say much and you'll never hear him brag. His work says everything about him that you need to know. He probably has some pretty good stories to tell but he doesn't inflict them on strangers.

When you've been around the outfit long enough for the old timer to start calling you by your name you've really accomplished something. Maybe not acceptance but recognition at least. Until then he'll pretty much ignore you. That's not rudeness. He's seen so many drivers come and go that he doesn't pay much attention to anybody until they've been there a few years. He'll work with you and he'll help you but don't expect him to be a friend.

Watch how the old timer works. He never seems to hurry but he gets a lot done in a short time. You don't see any do-overs or wasted motion. He can get every bit of performance out of a truck, especially in bad country, without hurting anything.

You can learn a lot from old timers. If you want to, that is.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    @REO6205
    Some very real truth in that posting.

beastr123, rank, MACK E-6 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Saw a lot of myself in that story.

beastr123 and rank Thank this.
  5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Sad isn’t it?

In the last ~15 years:
    ACE, FDA PN, FDA user fee, DPF, DEF, Elog, ABS, TWIC, CVSA 2010, CPAP, TFW visas, E-Testing, drug testing, 30 minute break, speed limiters, computer load boards, carbon tax (Canada), annual Commercial Operator lisence renewal (ON), doubling of the fuel tax rate (PA), lease to own.....

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    They just keep ####ing with stuff until there's nothing left to #### with.

especially that CSA 2010- Putting Good experienced Drivers in Bad framework due to DOT officers "Opinions"

And thats all it is, An Opinion- These Drivers know more about their job and equipment then some sideshow cop at a scale.

beastr123 and rank Thank this.
  7. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    ........and intermodal

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Jeepers, you list it like that, I'm surprised anybody does it at all. When I bought my 1st truck, I signed ze papers, and was on my way,,,no( or very few) questions asked. I suppose all those regs are here thanks to guys like me. Tough crackers, I say, we had a blast.

beastr123, MACK E-6 and rank Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.