Where Are You Continues, Again.....

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Giggles the Original, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    It's supposed to cloud up tonight here in Fargo, but it looks like it might hold off until after totality. I hope so, the last few eclipses I've seen have been low to the horizon, this one will be nice and high in the sky.

Rocks, Tall Mike and BigBob410 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. chopper103in

chopper103in Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Crossville,Tn
    Screenshot_20190120-133032_WeatherBug.jpg sitting at the house till morning

4mer trucker, BigBob410, Rocks and 3 others Thank this.
  4. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Training update- just a quick one.

We’re in Oregon and it’s raining. Surprise.

Anyway I get out and I’m telling him about the kingpin, 5th wheel etc etc. before we hook up to a new trailer. I look over and he’s got a umbrella. I laughed. Not sure why. I’ve never seen a trucker with an umbrella before. My mind was racing. How do you crank the landing gear holding an umbrella? Installing the pig tail and glad hands? Check the jaws around the 5th wheel?

I was stunned and couldn’t stop laughing. I was just blinking and laughing like a moron. It’s not that funny...ok maybe it is...but still, how do you work with an umbrella??

My brain finally caught up with my mouth and I was getting ready to heckle the #### out of him when he laughs and tosses the umbrella down. He says “I just found it on the ground and wanted to see if you’d lose your mind.” “You did. Your expression was priceless.”

I think if he keeps learning and practicing this guy will make a fine professional truck driver. Of course we won’t know that until I pay him back and see if he can take it like he dished it out.

RedForeman, BigBob410, Feedman and 7 others Thank this.
  5. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I just wanted to share an umbrella story.

In 2004 I was a city bus driver.
    I was assigned a road relief, which means you meet the bus on the street and take over from the off-going driver.
    Anyway, the relief point was just up the street, so I was gonna walk. It was a rainy day, so the dispatcher asked me if I wanted to borrow an umbrella from lost and found, and I said, "Sure".

So he hands me the fruitiest, floral print umbrella in the box.
    And I walk right outside with it.

So I'm standing on the street waiting for the bus. Passersby are giving me the eye, and I'm looking right back, DARING anyone to say anything about my umbrella.

The bus arrives, and the driver is cracking up laughing.

"Is that your umbrella?"

I look him right in the eyes and say, "Of course it is! It's a gift from my mom. Why?"

Well, he was all embarrassed and stuttering, then I started laughing and handed him the umbrella to give back to the dispatcher.

Good times.

6. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Hey Mr. @Tall Mike ... or anybody who may know.... I am trying to find out if the commercial vehicle ban in NY has been lifted but can't find the info anywhere.. called their number and that's a waste of time also.... I am planning on leaving at 2 am east time from PA where I am now and will go thru NJ and NY... if anybody has the info, please post it here... Thanks... :biggrin_25519:

7. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    And I think I found some info.... here... at the NYS dept of transportation facebook...

8. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Thanks for the info.... would love to see that.... But sky may be cloudy tonight..... and I may be paying close attention to the road for black ice....

9. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    I'm in Virginia right now I haven't heard anything more about it.

10. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    Thanks sir. I have been checking all road cameras and road conditions in NJ, NY, CT and MA and all seems fine... except for the strong winds.... have a safe trip... :wave:

11. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Trainer update.

I think new or newer drivers can see a magical blue flashing light above my truck much like the one from K-Mart. The amount of people now asking me questions is almost frightening. I explain to them I’m a new trainer, doesn’t matter they seem desperate. Things I’ve been asked to help with, not from my trainee, but from other mega drivers.

1. How to check engine oil
    2. How to check coolant
    3. How to slide tandems

New drivers all seem to want to talk about backing, but when I ask how many times a day they’re practicing I get blank stares. I tell them what I know that works for me, and direct them to YouTube.

The derision that I hear about the CDL mills is making sense.

Today will be my trainees first day driving with me nervously hiding in back and watching. I want to see how he does without me next to him. We’ve got lots of open road and only a few small towns to roll through on the 5. Weather looks good enough as well. Today I finally get to see what it’s like to get paid for someone else driving.

Hopefully this isn’t my “trainer ####s his pants day.” :)

Feedman, Rocks, homeskillet and 6 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.