Where are you

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Cruz31307, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Ah... hope that she doesn't take body parts to decorate her truck??!

:biggrin_25521:

You might wanna update your will and notify next of kin...

Injun and Lilbit Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    She can have any "body part" of mine she wan(?) Ohoh:biggrin_2556:

Injun Thanks this.
  4. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Petaluma, CA under the rack getting loaded with milk for Maplewood, MN..

5. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    I have a question which has been buggin me for a long time..As George A. Custer was hated and despised by your ancestors,why was his the only body on the battlefield NOT mutilated? Only thing done,was a woman jabbed something in his eardrums so he could heed their warnings in the "next life".

I mean,let's say I hated and despised someone so much,I went to his house,he was playing cards with his friends,so I had to kill em all..After this,if I were to mutilate someone,it would be the one I hate,not his friends.

6. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    And still find time to chat online... :biggrin_25519:

7. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Selective postings... today I'm stuck got here early (not even runnin' all that fast) and I can't wheedle myself into bumping the dock early... darnit!

While its hard to say what went through the minds of the Souix in that time - understandably, they were hesitant to speak of the Custer fight - I believe that they respected him as a warrior respects his enemy. While many of the soldiers on the frontier in those days displayed what would be unacceptable cowardice in the eyes of the Souix in that time, Custer did actively seek battle when it was offered. That's not to say that soldiers on the frontier didn't fight, but it had been 8 years since the Washita fight and something like 80% of the 7th's soldiers had never been in battle on that day on the Little Bighorn. Nearly 20% of the enlisted men had only fired a few rounds in their entire lives, and hadn't ridden a horse for more than a few months. From my reading of it, many of the 7th's officers who were Civil War vets, displayed symptoms of combat-related PTSD as we call it now. Most of them were self-medicating at the whiskey barrel to excess - especially Reno.

Then there was the arrogance on the part of Custer and his officers - thinking that they were more than a match for some of the finest light calvary in the world - the Indian horse culture. The Commanche, Arapahoe, Kiowa, Cheyenne and Souix were bread from birth to be warriors, and practiced the discipline of a warrior every day of their lives. In battle, it was a fight to the death for them - capture meant a horrible death through torture. And if they failed in battle, quite often that meant that their families would die as well. That was their way. The only way they could advance in their society was through battlefield coups and glory. Victory was survival for them... especially after Sand Creek in 1864.

In that day, the Souix and Cheyenne triumphed. But that was the end, and their life and culture disappeared over the next couple of years. In a couple of years Crazy Horse was dead, and by 1890 even Sitting Bull had been killed. "Hate" would have been reserved for the invading culture as a whole - all white men. That didn't mean that they wouldn't respect another man for his abilities and bravery on the field of battle.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
    Bumpy, Injun, teddy_bear6506 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Jolsen

Jolsen Heavy Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    East of the big crick
    I thought there was a trophy for catching her. or would she be the trophy?:biggrin_25522:

9. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    I have ONE more question,I should PM you,but in the event someone is interested,they can read it,if not,simply move on.

This morning,I drove through,of course,the Crow rez on I-90.I know the Lakota were ancient enemies with the Crow,and the Crow were,in fact,Custer's scouts that day. Now,the Cheyenne rez is not far from the Crow,and my question is,do the Lakota and Cheyenne get along with the Crow today,or is there still some animosity?

10. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    I'm not gonna answer that on the grounds of....I may be in enough trouble with her already..:biggrin_2556:

11. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    You boys getting yourselves in trouble? Can't leave you alone for 5 minutes can we?:biggrin_25521:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.