Where do you find the information on laws of truckdriving off day requirements ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mabunny1, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

All this and you don't have to go to jail to get it!

Much better then jail no? I guess one could argue it's like a jail. We can ignore the driving, changing scenery, truck stops, dumb ### 4 wheelers, dumb ### fellow big rig drivers...etc etc etc. Still...a cell that moves is better then one that doesn't.

Become a truck driver. Not a convict. Some do both, I don't recommend this though. Usually ends like a lease deal...horribly.

Sirscrapntruckalot - Rabbits Jump and they live for 8 years. Dogs run and they live for 15 years. Turtles do nothing and live for 150 years. Lesson Learned? - The internet

x1Heavy and Brandt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You eat, sleep, drive, and relax 24/7 and spend days or weeks in the same room(truck and sleeper) A prison cell probably has more room. Dispatch tells you were to go. The ELD/computers tell you when you can sleep and when you can work. I'm just joking, it not a bad job.

Imagine if McDonald's said come work for us. We will give you a room in the back and you can work 14 hours a day then have 10 hours off. You can work all you want. Days, weeks, or months

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Just to get it out! As a driver it is YOU responsible for the safe operation of your vehicle. if you don't feel up to driving, well DON"T! I always tried to develop such a relationship with "my boss" that they knew when I asked for off time I was really needing it. When I was getting close to that time I would call in and speak to this person. I would ask how the freight is running in such and such place. As I look back over my career I remember a lot of hotels watching bowl games and a World Series game or two. After a couple of weeks hard at it a body needs a day or two so they can recharge the battery. Back when I was in my 30s I could stay up 24 to 30 hours with little or no "help" if I had a good night sleep going in. It is hard to do some of the reefer service and stick to normal times. This can cause a dangerous situation when your body's Circadian sleep cycles say it is time to sleep. One of the arguments used by some of the Truck Safety advocacy groups in their FMCSA lawsuit against the 34 hour resets was these Circadian sleep cycles.

Just a question. How many drivers reading my comment would raise their hand and say this has happened to them? You have had your truck hitting a rough place in the road to "wake you up"? I would be telling a lie if I did not raise my hand! The last time this happened to me was in all places on the DC Beltway. Within an hour I was stopped and asleep.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Just to be clear, this lack of required time off applies to all jobs. Unless you have a contract stating otherwise, any employer can say you have to work as much as they want. The difference is that drivers put up with it, and the rest of the people do not. Try telling most people they are going to work the hours that drivers do and they would quit, leaving no one to work that job. The nature of OTR trucking does require longer daily hours than most jobs, however the way a driver is dispatched back to back loads with barely any time to get to each pickup and delivery is the problem. Work a few long days then have a break would go a long way toward relieving some of the fatigue. That being said we still have drivers that would willingly drive 20 hour days, and companies that will let them. ​

Omega1, x1Heavy, ZVar and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.