where to find securement equipment for pipe in Houston TX?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lisamomof4boyz, Apr 5, 2016.

1. lisamomof4boyz

lisamomof4boyz Light Load Member

Hubby & I are looking for a way to get pipe stakes, chock blocks, nails & a hammer lol for hauling Pipe tomorrow out of Vallourec in Houston Tx. Any ideas????, have a repowered trailer & it only had the basics, but we had never hauled pipe with these items as of yet. would the shipper have extra to buy or?? Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lisamomof4boyz

Would Love some ideas where to buy this stuff at :) Plzzz. lol Lowes???

4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    If you are headed to a pipe yard I doubt they will have pipe stakes, etc. Normally the trailer needs to be set up for a minimum 40" to 44" pipe stakes before they allow you in the yard.

Many places will require a minimum of nine 4x4's at 102", plus enough 2x4's to take care of additional layers on top of that.

Just having short pipe stakes that go into pipe stakes slots won't work. Many pipe loads will get right up to maximum height, depending on whether it is standard or heavyweight.

I'm assuming you are set up to haul a load for the oil patch. Other considerations are whether both of you have H2S monitors and FRC. You can't be allowed on a rig pad without them.

lisamomof4boyz Thanks this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    As for chock blocks, best method for securing is with a belly wrap on two ends of the bottom layer, and if the yard requires blocking the freight I use marine grade self tapping screws and a cordless impact drill. Much faster than banging with a hammer. BE SURE you take out the blocks before delivery. Most cases the forklift driver will have forks under the top layer if you unstrapped first, then your blocks and screws (or nails) are destroyed as they pull a multi ton layer off your deck.

6. lisamomof4boyz

ok, Thank you so much for the heads up! We are taking it to Washita Valley in Ulster Pa, it's 9 &5/8" pipe. The Broker said the requirements were ppe gear, 10-12 dunnage, chock blocks, nails & hammer, & 4 ft steel pipe for trailer.

That's all they said we needed, so I'm thinking if we can get a hold of that we will be ok. We will be in Houston all night with no appointment for the load tomorrow, so we Will find it somewhere lol. ;) He said it could be easy because it's such a popular item to haul through Houston. I hope so, I just have no idea where to start looking!! :/
    We are very new to this being out on our own stuff, lol but very determined! Thanks for any ideas & input, much appreciated! Stay safe all!

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I10 exit 783. Go north on Sheldon Rd. Turn left on Wallisville Rd. The little place on the immediate left west of the gas station sells hardwood dunnage and pipe stakes.

PacoTaco and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    +1 This is where I got mine

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Do you remember the name of the shop? I am having a brain fart. Nvm...Big Al's Oil and Diesel. 16850 Wallisville Rd.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  10. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I couldn't remember it either...I tried not to google it.....

I paid $120 for 4 pipe stakes....You may can get them cheaper at the big pawn shop over by the Loves on 610.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I'd rather avoid the circus.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.