1. XD45springfield

XD45springfield Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Ocala Fl
    Ive been looking at several training/hiring companys.Ive got some things on my driving record and made some calls to about 15 places today.I was told as long as Im clean as far as criminal history and accidents that it could be looked past.I am in need of guidance as ive lost my job have a 1 year old son and a wife,Where do I need to go to make some money get the training I need AND NOT GET SCREWED.Ive ran across allot of these posts about swift/pam/england/stevens people almost come through the screen and scream STAY AWAY.Scares me because right now I cant afford to get screwed.Who is a good company to get trained paid while trained get me on the road and make a decent mans paycheck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    What do you have on your driving record?

4. rikdev50s

rikdev50s Medium Load Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Greer, SC
    I wish you luck. It is hard to say who to go to, but you should know that as long as you are in training status with most companies you will not make a decent check. The big ones are just about the same. Not sure it matters who you go to work for. You need to figure out wat you need from them and find a fit for you.

5. XD45springfield

Oct 23, 2008
    Ocala Fl
    couple speeding tickets 2 of them are going on there 3rd year they will be off very soon.

6. curtmann

curtmann Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Kansas City, Mo
    I had to treat it like I treat the presidential election, and choose the lesser of all of the evils. I start training with England on the tenth. every training company has it's ups and downs, and i've done my homework. I wouldn't go to a company that requires more than a year commitment.

7. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Check out the threads in the 'Discuss your favorite trucking company' section, go to the websites of the companies you are interested. A lot of the companies will list their 'requirements' or 'qualifications' on their site.

8. XD45springfield

Oct 23, 2008
    Ocala Fl
    OK, easy enough. Back here in the real world. And this is not aimed at Arrow in particular, just the OTR life in general.

$.34 a mile on paper sounds good, but your really gonna miss that extra 10 cents a mile very shortly.

$275 a quarter is better than a swift kick[sic], but figure it out by month. Not much to get excited about. Then again, anybody that cant claim a safe miles bonus 100% of the time does not belong on the road anyways.

$30 tarp pay sounds great until the first time you actually do it. Forget a windy day, forget sitting in your truck driving down the road for 10 hours and then having to drag those big buggers around. Forget about when its rainy, or the 102F outside. You'll begin to wonder if $130 would be enough money. Oh, now your all nasty grime hot and sweaty. Go take yourself a baby wipe bath in the truck. Cause most customers don't want you in their bathroom cause your a nasty truck driver (ponder that one next time some fat ### stinking trucker walks by you). And you don't get a shower for 3 more days. Showers take time you don't have, and money you aint making. Bring lots and lots of baby wipes...

Detention pay. HA!!! Get real. Your dispatcher is out to make the company money, and not piss off the customer. You come in dead last. Forget it, it doesn't exist in the real world.

Layover Pay DOUBLE HA!!! See above. Go to war with your dispatcher, otherwise you'll make more money flipping burger at McDonalds. It is simple math.

Having no family ties is a definite step in the right direction, but consider this. You have a mortgage, why? You will be home for "maybe" 3 days in a months time (if you are lucky), remember Arrow says 30 - 40 days out. The first day home you SLEEP that's all you will want to do sleep sleep sleep. The next day is yours, hopefully. Last day you need to do laundry, get the house put back together, and fix all those little things that broke in your home while nobody was there to maintain it. Your dispatcher is already hollering and wants you back in the truck. BTW, who is watching your house when you are away? Why would you own a home and only be there at the very most 3 days a month? Its just not worth owning anymore. Oh yeah, your car has been parked for a month too, be prepared to have somebody come jump start it for you the moment you get back to the terminal. Next stop is a car wash. It will have about an inch or more of dust on it. You sure don't need a nice new car, and car payment to drive it 3 days a month. Buy a raggedy old $300 beater and leave it at the terminal.

Next thing is probably the most saddest statement of all, but in my thinking one of the main draws to becoming an OTR driver.

"Seeing the Sites" Think this over real careful. You are in San Diego less than a mile from the ocean, you can smell the ocean breeze, you can hear the sea gulls and other ocean going wildlife critters. Guess what? You aint never gonna see that ocean. Know why? Because you have a 48 or 53' trailer and big truck. You cant just drive down to the beach and throw out a blanket for a picnic. Why? Because its a 53' trailer, you dont know if you can turn around, you dont know what bridge clearances are ahead, and you dont belong there in a semi truck trailer. They'll haul your butt to jail. You dont have time because you are glued to the CB listened for your truck to be called to load/unload. You need sleep (not log book sleep) but real sleep (which you aren't getting because you are listening to the CB for your truck number to be called) you aren't in a good neighborhood, so you listen all night to the padlocks on your trailer being tested by the local rats.

Of course you can schedule your "off time" near the ocean or near a mountain. Find a truck stop that will let you park your rig for your time off (if that's possible) and get a rental car. But then again, you own a home and haven't checked on it for over a month now, so maybe you should be home checking on the status of your house?

Please don't take this as a discouraging post against becoming an OTR truck driver. Lots of great reasons to give this job a shot. But! ! ! Go into it with both eyes wide open

9. XD45springfield

Oct 23, 2008
    Ocala Fl
    wow that will smack you in the face

10. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Definitely go in with both eyes wide open. That is the best thing you can do to make sure you don't get screwed. From what I understand, Roehl is a pretty decent company, more good than bad. Schneider is closing their schools next month, so they are out. I don't know if May has it's own school, but they have a pretty good rep. Crete also has a pretty good rep, and I believe has a school.

Some of the companies have a bad rap, but if you are a responsible person with a good head on your shoulders, they are not necessarily a bad fit. Some of them are considered 'driver mills' but have plenty of drivers that have been with them for years, so they can't be all bad. You have to look at what your priorities are for what you need from a company, and find the company that suits you. Make a list of the things that are important to you - hometime, health insurance, etc - and use that as part of your basis for making your decision.

Take the negative posts with a grain of salt. Not every company is the right fit for every driver. Some people do not go into this industry with their eyes open, don't want to learn, have negative attitudes, whatever - they aren't going to be happy anywhere.

Reading that long post of yours, and the last one, you seem to have a pretty good sense of humor, which will help you a lot in this industry! Keep that sense of humor.

I understand your concerns about getting to work, with a wife and little one at home. I'm a retired trucker (who did drive for swift), a trucker's wife (he did drive for Werner), and the daughter of a trucker. It can be a difficult biz, but once it's in your blood, you'll never get rid of it! Hopefully, some of this helps you out.

11. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    That was a copy/ paste he did from another thread, just to show some negative posts.
    There are a few training company's I would consider. Roehl, Schneider (as posted shools closed for now), Maverick (cannot remember if they have training, but take new drivers), Central Ref (I worked there with no big issues), Werner (if first 3 will not hire in your area).

Ones I personally would never consider. ENGLAND, Swift. Though some like swift. Just not the fit for me. Too big. I have talked to way too many screwed over England drivers to ever consider them as a possability. Central hires them by the dozen. Also any company without an open door policy to dispatch scares me. England has security everywhere in there terminal. At Central (yard in SLC is right next too England), we could walk right into the war room. Meet anyone from the CEO on down. No problem.
    Also the training is faster at Central. England you go with a trainer (cheap team), then have to go another month with another lease driver to convince you to do the lease. This driver is only taking you because they cannot make there payments without you.
    So you are wasting 2.5+ months before you are ever solo, not making much money.

Swift is set up basicly like Central on training. They are both owned my the same guy, so it makes sence. They are like Swift light. Much smaller company. 12 month commentment. If you leave early you just have to pay off whatever is left of the school. You do not sign a non-compete clause like with a few companys. It is not a real contract. Just an agreement to pay off the school.
    As stated though, swift is just too big.

In Flordia your big issue will be what companys hire there. In North FL it is not a real issue. In South FL it will be a BIG issue. Allot of freight goes in, not much comes out.

Lilbit Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.