where to mount bypass on 780 with d13

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by gbrown, Jul 24, 2013.

1. gbrown

gbrown Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    riverside ca
    I can't find a good place to mount a bypass filter looking for some help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    what a reason to add filter?

4. gbrown

gbrown Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    riverside ca
    Ant 1 so I can extend oil drains and keep oil cleaner longer.

5. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Doesn't make much sense, imop a waste of $$; we have 3 oil filters on D13, keeps oil clean; I did many oil analyzes , free package with oil change @ Speedco after 25-30,000 miles and oil was ok.

6. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Speedco analysis sucks, I know, I used Speedco for years.... once you get up in mileage on the sample it will say things that will have you thinking you need to change the oil....

I pull my own sample and send it to Blackstone labs, and the difference is.... Speedco test lists soot% as unavailable, might be due to high water or soot in oil....yikes! change it, right?? Good thing I'm in the bay here at Speedco...

Send it to Blackstone, same oil, water less than 1 ppm, no coolant, no fuel in oil, soot% less than a half of a percent....

Blackstone gives you a detailed analysis/opinion, Speedco?

They give you a paper with some info on the back and you're left on your own to try and figure it out...

I would never use Speedco for an analysis again.

It's not that hard to pull your own sample, and Blackstone isn't going to be changing your oil, so they have no interest in giving you an erroneous UOA...

Just fyi.

You're right about the D15, it does a really good job of filtering oil, that's why the OEM interval is set at 50k....

But, if you added a bypass unit you could extend that interval out another 20k, I would think...maybe more, but really, beyond that you start running into shearing and oxidation issues....

The bypass units really shine on the older motors, like the 60

Bypass and top shelf oil will allow you to double the OCI on a 60

If I had a D15 I'd add a bypass, they are unsurpassed in their ability to clean the oil.... but it might just be a feel good thing with that motor, but hey, I like to feel good about my equipment.

7. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    I know Rutherford pushes the OPS, but as far as I'm concerned you can't overservice an engine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.