Where to start , I have class A, hazmat, and tankers.....

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by ellisjay2, May 19, 2021.

1. ellisjay2

ellisjay2 Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2010
    marietta, GA
    I've had my class A's for over 13 years only local driving for the county water department, hauling excavators and dump truck tandem trailer combos. Most of the trucks were automatics, before they got rid the manuals I drove a few 2 speed axels, and some f the 10 speed low boy macks. I got my tankers, and hazmat endorsements also. I have a clean mvr going back at least yrs clean. From some drivers I've talked too, hazmat or tankers is the way to go. I live in marietta, atlanta ga area, surrounded by plenty of companies I see on the go. Is it true I will have to go to a school and do training for at least a year before being looked at to drive? I feel I need an income, career change soon as I can get in the right direction. 38 years old, still single mostly, no kids, no health issues, sober lifestyle. I wouldn't mind being a part of the fuel or chemical industry. Most hazmat drivers Ive talked to seem to be satisfied where they are vs freight or material hauling. Networking with real inside people gives more insight of how getting started really works versus the big company adds and hype advertising goes. It took me over 13 years just to save 15k from my current job, and average trucker can make that in way less time im sure. Buying your own truck...Im not in that position, I hear often of controlling your income as owner operator, so I have to start small. If I could find some night/weekend driving local or on the road for a night or two would be cool and possibly hang on to county job. All feed back is appreciated, Im trying to get the best guidance \ advice I can get........

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No, you don't have to go to cdl school. Plenty of companies will hire you right now and give you some in-house training to bring you up to speed on company operating policies.
    ~
    You can probably hang on to that county job by driving for a temp agency on your days off.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  4. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Even a reefer company like Stevens would probably just have you to a short orientation run. Not the full 260 hours. Also if you have nothing tying you down. Might consider just living in the truck. Or getting a hotel on home time. Instead of paying for rent on a place you'll only see a few days here and there. Unless you are trying to stay local for the work. Instead of OTR.

NavigatorWife and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Maybe quit the county job and go full time with a line haul company. Probably be making $90K in a year.
    First year make about $60K - $65K.
    Teamsters Union benefits and free health insurance.
    Vested for a pension in 5 years.
    ~
    YRC Freight has a terminal in Conley, GA
    YRC has a training program for drivers that haven't been in the LTL trucking before.
    [​IMG]

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you have all the endorsements, Old Dominion Freight Line is hiring.
    You need the following endorsements:
    doubles/triples
    hazmat
    tanker
    ~
    Here's 3 openings:
    ~
    Old Dominion Linehaul Driver
    $98K per year
    Conley, GA
    Job Description:
    Old Dominion Freight Line is currently recruiting for a LineHaul Driver to join our OD Family Culture. Our Drivers successfully operate various tractor-trailer combinations over long distances. Truck Drivers also sort, handle, load, and/or unload freight at company and customer locations. They typically work a 5 day work week and are home most nights which provides a great work-life balance for our drivers. OD's LineHaul Drivers average annual pay is $98,000. Linehaul Drivers are critical members of our OD Family they help to accurately deliver our customer's freight and help keep our promises.
    ~
    Old Dominion Local Driver
    $73K per year
    Cartersville, GA
    Job Description:
    Old Dominion Freight Line is currently recruiting for a Local Pickup & Delivery Driver or City Driver. Our P & D Driver will successfully operate various tractor-trailer combinations between company terminals and customer facilities or work sites within the Service Centers geographic service area. Truck drivers also sort, handle, load, and/or unload freight at various companies and customer locations. OD's Pick up & Delivery Drivers average annual pay is $73,000. P & D Drivers are critical members of our OD Family; they help to accurately deliver and pick up our customer's freight. Allowing OD to help keep our promises.
    ~
    Old Dominion Container Division Driver
    $98K per year
    Conley, GA
    Job Description:
    Old Dominion Freight Line is currently looking for a LineHaul Truck Driver to join our OD Family Culture. We need a Container Drayage Drivers (CDDs) to pick up and deliver inter-modal containers to and from customer locations to and from ocean ports and rail heads. This can be within a local, regional, or national area. Communicate with dispatch or their managers any issues which would affect a delivery schedule. This would include but not be limited to port/rail delays, traffic delays, mechanical failures, driver errors, etc.OD's LineHaul Drivers average annual pay is $98,000. OD's Container Drivers are critical members of our OD Family. They help to accurately deliver our customers freight and help keep our promises.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Old Dominion Freight Line trucks.
    [​IMG].[​IMG]

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Estes Express is hiring and has a few openings near you.
    Need same endorsements as Old Dominion.
    `
    [​IMG]

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Estes Express regional driver.
    Atlanta, GA
    Click ---> Apply On Company Site
    ~
    Regional OTR Truck Driver - Extra Board
    Estes Express Lines
    Atlanta, GA
    Click ----> Apply On Company Site
    ~
    Truck Driver - Combination Local/Regional Driver
    Estes Express Lines
    Kennesaw, GA 30144
    ~
    Local Driver - Pick up and Delivery Driver- job post
    Estes Express Lines
    Ellenwood, GA 30294

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Valley Proteins, Atlanta, GA
    ~
    upload_2021-5-19_17-37-7.jpeg [​IMG]
    1. Locations - Valley Proteins, Inc.
      https://www.valleyproteins.com/about-us/locations
      Valley Proteins, Inc. provides services for the collection, rendering and recycling of animal processing and supermarket waste streams (fat and bone trimmings; meat/poultry waste) and restaurant used cooking oil (UCO) throughout the contiguous United States. Our processing and conversion facilities are conveniently located to draw on the resources provided by the surrounding areas, utilizing only the …

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    A&R Logistics is hiring in Winston, GA and Stockbridge, GA
    CDL-A Drivers Out & Back Lanes
    Avg $1200 per wk $1500 Sign-on
    ~
    Winston, GA
    ~
    Stockbridge, GA
    $12,000.00 sign-on bonus
    ~
    [​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.