Where would you build or buy a truckstop if you had the money?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Ronnocomot, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    If you had a million dollars backing you, and not saying if I do, where would you see the most traffic for your money?

No four wheelers
    Fenced in parking with a gate
    Showers and bathrooms only to start. Ok, fuel as well.

Let's say enough parking for 300 trucks (however many acres that is)
    direct access on/off a major interstate.

Where is this needed most? Preferably west of I-35.

Suggestions? Ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. newbiewannadoitright

newbiewannadoitright "Right Wing Nut Job"

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    I may be partial, because I live in that area. But lots of truck traffic through the I-10 / I-12 corridor and I-59 going north and south. They have an older TA south of there on 59 and a Pilot about 30 miles west of there, but both of them are very limited, old, and crusty. I realize it's not west of I-35, but I can hope.
    :yes2557:

4. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    Tehachapi, CA, just west of the Mojave scales? Tons of trucks parked on an unbuilt commercial area (streets in, but no businesses) north of CA58 as well as along the CA58, the main L.A. area bypass north of that basin. A real winner---truck traffic along CA58 is really heavy!!:yes2557::yes2557:

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. ssbowles

ssbowles Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2007
    High Desert,CA
    I25 between Denver and ABQ? Or I70 between Utah and Denver.

6. jamwadmag

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    There are about 5 or 6 TS's along that stretch, but none of them a major brand--my %$$##$#%^ company only sanctions that small, stinkin Pilot off I-70 in Denver!! Can be backed up all islands around the block and up both exit ramps!! Those TS's along that stretch dont offer much (maybe the Springer, NM one used too)---could really use one N. of the Monument scales around that Rest Area location on I-25. :biggrin_25514:

NOTE: That same stretch just North of Castlerock would be nice, and there is 'room,' but zoning may kill--will eventually become all hi-priced home with all of Denver's growth!!

7. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Can't answer for out west, but the Kalamazoo Michigan area has a crying need for one. Between ex 30 and exit 104 there is only one small, scuzzy pit of a truckstop. The Kalamazoo area has nothing and it located right smack in the middle of that. At x-72, there is an old lot that used to be a truckstop until 6-7 years ago, cousin to the pit located at x-56. It didn't die to to lack of business, but because of the cheapness of the owners and their lack of maintenance of the place. Because it was previously a truckstop, no zoning issues to deal with, and most of the ground work needed to make a parking lot are already in place. I'd buy the entire acreage, and the adjoining property to the east, end up with about 60 acres there for development. Build a large truckstop, and on the back of the property, set up a couple of buildings that could be leased out to truck related businesses. A good Blue Beacon franchise, a decent heavy repair shop/wrecker service, and a food grade tank wash would fill the bill real nicely.

However, 1 million dollars would be barely adequate to do this, and if you are starting from scratch somewhere, then you better figure in a lot more money than that. Puttting in parking lots is not cheap. Lots of dirt work and gravel to be hauled in to make the base.

8. ssbowles

ssbowles Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2007
    High Desert,CA

9. jamwadmag

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    Yeah, it sucks. We use Pilot mainly because of the -2 cent fleet rate, and some T/A's (can use the University one in Alb) but usually end up doing Jamestown! Esp. if you want to park late!! The J at the 153 is usually a parking mess---can fuel there, but stay at the 66 T/P just W. of there for some 'breathing room!'

BTW, speaking of TS's and zoning, as most know 'they' dont want us around 'there', (wherever 'there' is! ha ha). Heard from some ppl in SLC when they were going to put in that new Pilot off the I-80, neighbors fought it cause in their words, "truckers are low-lives!' They love the stuff we bring, but dont 'care' for us....LOL :biggrin_25516:

10. BobC

BobC Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Cincinnati, slOhio
    I would put one on any major inroad to California.
    I consider I80 east of Fernley a very strong possibility.
    You might get a little closer to Reno if you go to the Mustang exit.
    You have the two in Sparks but they're not near big enough.
    Boomtown closed their T/S & offered only that they might rebuild one later.

I'd consider something large near Chicago.
    There's all kinds of open farmland there & I'll bet plenty of rural muni's that would open their arms to you.

Central & southern Florida could stand a large T/S with all those poor drivers parked in hopes of finding a load out.
    If you consider the hurricanes that come thru Florida, you'll also have a place to stage rescue services from.
    The state might be coaxed into chipping in a few million as part of FEMA or whatever the state calls their rescue teams.

As a primary staging area for rescue ops, you probably could get special considerations from the fuel suppliers & never go without fuel.

Just need to build a really good roof.

You could look at something in New England but I bet that's a tuff row to hoe.
    As much as I hate to admit it, you might look into the border on the Mexico side.

11. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Denver has a J, but its also a parking night mare!!!

For some reason the entire state of CO has a shortage of truck stops. I dunno what the deal is. 70 west of Denver is real bad for truck parking.

I agree the stretch between Denver and Alb needs any number of more truck stops.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.