Where's the Money In Trucking???

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JoBernard, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    In my experience and opinion it is yes but i run flatbed and have a tanker, hazmat end. with a twic. I am willing to pull this stuff as many others wont and dont and see some #### good figures from it. Hell I got 650 just for pulling a load out of a port for a guy until CARB goes and scews this up or me this year:biggrin_25516:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. me only

me only Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2011
    buford ga
    its all how you treat the trucking business as a job or a lifestyle .i do okay and not starving .i can make a living doing what i do with no regrets .its not easy but its fun trying .

revelation1911 Thanks this.
  4. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    First, never use ripoffreports.com for anything. They will investigate complaints for a fee and then they are removed. Amazing process.

Not sure how this relates to the thread. But get another job. Not hard to find a job in trucking these days if you have a good record.

5. revelation1911

revelation1911 Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    Thats way I look at it. I have been around trucks since I was sixteen. Started out busting flats and moved up the chain. I also consider some of my deductions as pay cause it's just like money to me. namely, Per Diem, deduction for home office and a free vehicle to drive. All this cost everyone else money.

6. revelation1911

revelation1911 Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    I don't think I'd drive for 9.00 a hour! As far as getting fatter, Going buy you canned fruit or something at the store and carry it with you. I very seldom eat TS food. If you done got fat go sit on your dispatcher might give him a diffrent view of things? Get you another job and tell them ##

7. Gilro70

Gilro70 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Maryland
    There is money to be made in trucking if you consider what you haul and where you haul it to and from. Keeping the left door closed also makes a huge difference. All the
    Pints are valid and just as a side note when you know what your expenses are then you can increase your bottom line. Don't want to step on anyone's toes but if you don't think you have the dedication it takes this probably isnt the job for you.

8. Wildcat74

Wildcat74 Medium Load Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    If you're getting fatter and you're too tired to do anything about that's on YOU! Not the truckstops. If you're working for $9/hr why don't you go get a job that keeps you home for that? Not hard to find...

9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I echo what Wildcat says. How are you only making $9 an hr? If you are averaging $675 a week, you are working 75 hours a week, which is illegal if you use a logbook over the road. Where is Albino, Texas? If you can, find a carrier that is regional or do like me and find one that is dedicated. I gross just under $900 a week, hit the gym from about 4:30 a.m. to 5:40 a.m., get in the truck around 6:15 a.m. run 300 miles, drop and hook, 300 miles back, and get in about 5:15 p.m. I take two protein shakes with me and heat my chicken wrap or two hamburger patties up in a microwave for lunch. All my meals are spaced out every three hours.
    I said that to say this, its not the greatest money in the world, but the company I am with gets me home every day, I don't spend any money on the road, I am off every weekend and I still exercise by choice. Keep looking, better things are out there.

10. regdawg1

regdawg1 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Durham, NC
    Who u work for PAM?

11. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill Heavy Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Alberta
    If you own the truck(trucks) the money is in the management of the BUSINESS. Any idiot can buy a truck, not everyone can MANAGE a trucking company properly. Buying iron does not make one a business manager.
    If you are a driver, the money is in doing the very best you can every day, maintain a good positive attitude and treating the equipment as if it were your own. If you find yourself in a crooked company, LEAVE. There are lots of jobs out there and companies will kill for good reliable drivers WITH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE. Any idiot can get a CDL and having a license does NOT make someone a trucker.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.