Where's the money?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Diantane, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I will take any old manual truck without a cooler or microwave and drive the wheels off the SOB. As long as it's legal I am happy. I will drive most anywhere except NYC and Stanton island.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    This is amazing. But I bet you are also a red light chaser.

4. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Retirement is great if your home is paid for
    And you have enough money to travel and do things
    Besides sit around the house.

If your on a tight budget then it sucks.

5. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    I'm pretty ambitious so I'm not worried about the financial side of retirement. I assume I'll leave a decent chunk left over when I die.

I LIKE working is the thing. I like the challenge of it and I don't know what I would do with my time instead. Traveling is fun, but I'm usually pretty ready to be home following my routine by the end of a one week vacation.

I think most recreational activities are more enjoyable when they have some level of scarcity. The full on decadence life is something you rapidly build a tolerance to and before very long depression seeps in.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  6. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Heavy Load Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Cape Ann, Massachusetts
    Unfortunately, driving a truck for a living is such a low paying job that a 37 year driver will be lucky to have any savings at all, let alone to retire.
    It takes 'disposable income', building up over a period of years to accumulate enough for retirement.
    Good luck with these low paying driving jobs. And I am specifically mentioning all the big megas;
    Schneider, Werner, Swift, Conway TL, Knight... etc.
    About the only drivers that will have anything available for retirement will be the union guys, with a union pension; which, in part, is paid for by the union signatory trucking companies.
    No wonder all the big, non union corporations have tricked the public into thinking that unions are bad...
    Means more profits for the really rich guys at the top while the rest of us grovel for scraps.

skinnytrucker and Toomanybikes Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    People literally die if they retire and have nothing to DO.

There is a possibility that life itself should be kept by those who fight and do things that interest them. Otherwise they just die. Like really fast.

Sometimes they are stubborn and die early. I think that is usually a good thing. Who knows.

We had a relative who stayed in a paid for house most of life. When sickness came the house was sold and the proceeds spent in the last 7 years of health care and so forth. I don't know why that one hung on for so long in the situation like that with the high point of the day choosing between cottage cheese and orange slices....

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Even some low paid truck drivers can start early and buy some cheap rental property. I know a guy in his 20's that has maybe 10 rentals and he's a blue collar worker, not some high paid one either. His goal in life was to be able to live in a condo on the Las Vegas Strip and live the single man's life with lots of girl friends. He reached his goal early and that's what he's doing. Still has his blue collar job and living the high life at night. Always on the lookout for his next rental purchase.
    I saw some the other day for $2000.00 down and payments under $200.00 a month with owner finance. They're priced between $20K and $35K and all one bedroom. They'd probably rent for $500 a month or so.
    The one below is more expensive, but still make a good rental.
    [​IMG]
    Listing ID:1951989
    View Photo Gallery (5)
    Saved!Save Property
    1405 VEGAS VALLEY Drive406, Las Vegas, Nevada NV 89169
    Listing Price: $45,000
    Virtual Tour
    Bedrooms:1
    Full Baths:1
    Total Baths:1
    SqFt:671

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    We're all gonna die! So enjoy the time you have. Whether it's in a Crapcadia running 3500 miles a week, or sitting on the porch watching the grandkids beat the crap outta each other. Just do what makes ya happy. You'll live longer, and eventually have the pleasure of being a pain in the ### to someone.

37 years experience and driving for the pumpkin? For your main source of income? No way. WHO does that???

I'd do it if money was no issue, and have tons of fun smashing things!

Surfer Joe and Oldironfan Thank this.
  10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    In under 20 years working for Schneider I'll have more then enough to retire. Where I live Schneider pays more and gets me home more then any small carrier is willing to promise. Just cause its big doesnt mean its bad.

ladr Thanks this.
  11. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Red light chaser? What's that?

I'm no longer a company driver as of today. I've purchased my own truck and have leased on with the company I was working for.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.