Which 70-73" sleeper truck would you choose, and why?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Metal_Hauler, Jun 1, 2022.

Choose which truck YOU prefer from this list

1. International LT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MACK Anthem

6.3%
  3. Kenworth T680

12.5%
  4. Freightliner Cascadia

6.3%
  5. Volvo VNL740

25.0%
  6. Peterbilt 579

12.5%
  7. International Lonestar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Kenworth W990

31.3%
  9. Other (add to comments)

6.3%
  1. Metal_Hauler

Metal_Hauler Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2022
    I manage a fleet of approximately 150 drivers with about half of those operating regional OTR using sleeper cab trucks. We currently run mostly Volvo VNL740's and Kenworth T680's, but I'm actively looking at other options for future lease agreements. I'm always interested in hearing from drivers what trucks they prefer, their experiences comparing similar models, and why the feel strongly about one truck (or brand) over another. I appreciate your participation, suggestions, and any wisdom you care to pass down to me.

Use:
    • Pulling 48' flatbeds (mostly conestoga's, some also moffetts) hauling steel coils and roll-formed metal roofing/siding/purlin
    • Mostly east of the Rockies
    • Typically ~750 mile 2-day routes
    • Will be leased
    Desires:
    • 70-73" mid-roof sleeper
    • Comfortable, quiet, lots of storage
    • 485-510 hp
    • 12-14 speed auto's
    • Reliable and durable as some deliveries are at jobsites
    • Good outward visibility
    • Tight turning radius a plus
    Also, if you were to award safe drivers (1M+ accident free miles) with a very nicely equipped truck, which particular options do drivers most desire? Better seats? Different colors? More chrome? Let me know in the comments PLEASE.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    I hate to say it but from what I’ve heard Volvo will be your best bet. It’s not my choice but I now run a business and buy what makes sense for the business, not what I want personally.

4. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Pete imo. Mine when its not on fire due to the last owners being idiots is a good truck and the most comfy i have ever used. As for features. Manual transmission. Inverter and microwave with a fridge are the biggest upgrades.. 20210929_172018.jpg

5. Doublewiggle32

Doublewiggle32 Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2016
    I think the t680s are the nicest aerodynamic truck. Personally I'd pick a peterbilt 389, kw W900, but fuel mileage, visibility, and turning radius will be worse.

The W990 will also have those same issues, but a lot of drivers would pick it over an areo truck. The w990 and t680 have the same cab and sleeper, but has a big hood. It would be a nice reward truck for your drivers, with a good seat and some extra light panels on the cab and sleeper.

Maybe give your million mile drivers the choice of a manual transmission, a 10 or 13spd. Many drivers don't want an auto.

6. Northern Nomad

Northern Nomad Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2020
    The frozen north
    I don’t think that you can beat the ergonomics and comfort of a Volvo.

7. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I’m running a 579 now and it’s junk. I’ve never been a truck ever that rattles, buzzes and vibrates like this and it has the worst cabinets ever. I wouldn’t give one Volvo to get 5 of these.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.