Which companies in BC hire older trucks?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Canucklehead, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Hi,
    I'm going to be buying another truck soon. I'm not going to be looking at newer trucks due to the EPA motors that cause nothing but problems. I may consider one that's had the DPF and EGR removed, but otherwise I prefer old school. So I'm looking at anywhere from 1995 to 2005, preferably under $35,000. My logic is I could spend $50k or $60k on a truck, and still end up having to fix all sorts of stuff or rebuild it anyways. So I'm starting cheap, because I'd end up having to throw the same money at one anyways. My preference would be Cummins N14 or early pre-egr ISX. Same with a Cat, 3406 or 6NZ. Rebuilds are hard to find these days in my price range, so keep it cheap and I can get that done. To give you an idea of how comfortable I am with older trucks, I started with twin sticks, and my first truck had a Cummins Big Cam 400 in it.
    One thing that I keep seeing now is companies that require 2014 or newer. How insane is that when someone spends serious money for something with a crap motor, only to make a paltry rate. Not all want almost new trucks, some will graciously go down to 2008. You're still stuck with motors that have plenty of headaches.
    I get that companies want reliable trucks, and the thinking goes that the older it is, the more you're in the shop. But older trucks have less problems than newer ones. Also, most of the lemons are long gone by now. The ones that have lasted I would consider survivors, of course within reason.
    So, to my original question, which companies hire older trucks in BC?

And what's the deal with jamming 48k into a tandem trailer and wanting a truck that weighs 18k or less. No tractor with a sleeper that can pull the mountains well weighs that little.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. canadian

canadian Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Surrey, British Columbia
    As long as you get a truck with a new warranty and switch trucks within the warranty period you can go from new truck to new truck every 3-5 years.

The newer trucks come with Stability Control and collision avoidance as standard equipment, the seats are nicer, the a/c blows cold, the bunk and cab is quieter, the mirrors provide better visibility, and the headlights have come along way since those indandescent glow-worms in a jar.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  4. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Buy a new seat is only $800 that's better than the stock one. Spending $160,000 to get a quieter bunk. Buying new heated mirrors $200 at most. Recharging the A/C pretty cheap. Putting in HID headlights under $500. Spending $160,000 for new do-dads for people that can't drive well, waste of money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.