Which company do you recommend me in NJ

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by trucko, Aug 7, 2015.

1. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I live in North NJ and I am new CDL graduate

which company would you recommend me to start with?

thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Abilene Motor Express
    Freymiller
    Earl Henderson Trucking
    Decker Truck Line - reefer division
    Calex Logistics - Plains, PA
    Pride Transport

All on this list run coast to coast and hire new CDL grads. Some may have "experience required" but ignore that because the websites may not be updated.
    Not much difference in any of them except Henderson has a guaranteed minimum weekly paycheck and Pride Transport has the nicest trucks with satellite TV/xm radio/refrigerator.

4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check Watkins-Shepard in Sayreville, NJ. Dry van running dedicated. Probably get better hometime & not sure if they do coast to coast or not. That's personal preference though; I prefer coast to coast, but that's me. (www.wksh.com)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  5. Pungent Sauce

Pungent Sauce Bobtail Member

Mar 15, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Hey Chinatown, you always seem to have the good info!
    I'm moving back to Wisconsin next month, Madison to be specific. I could do tanker w/SNI or flatbed w/Roehl, do you have any rec's other than those for a noob CDL grad? Thanks!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. runningfr8

runningfr8 Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2015
    I have heard good things on Watkins shepard for company drivers in your area

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd go with Schneider tankers.
    Also check:
    Don Hummer Trucking
    Holland Enterprises Inc.
    Indian River Transport
    Trimac Transportation - need tanker/hazmat/TWIC. Pay jumps to over $100K after 24 months and qualify for the Elite Fleet. If they don't have openings, then go with Schneider tankers to get the 24 months tanker experience.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Pungent Sauce Thanks this.
  8. Pungent Sauce

Mar 15, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Thanks for the info CT!
    Indian River req's 1 year exp.
    Tri-Mac wants experience but will accept "exceptional" CDL school grads.
    I got 90's in class and passed the road test 1st try, T & X endorsements, but I wouldn't call that "exceptional". Sage doesn't give out scores to companies anyway, just pass/fail info.
    But it can't hurt to call, right? I've been told worse things than "No".
    They look like an excellent company to make a lateral move to with experience though.
    Their Elite Fleet req's 5 years exp.
    Holland and Hummer both look like good companies, Hummers closer to me, but I'm not interested in dry van atm.
    SNI's WI training center is just an hour from the house, so I'll see what sweet nothings their recruiter tells me, lol. From the reviews here, Indeed & Glassdoor, SNI Bulk Div is, like most rookie jobs, what you're willing to make of it.
    Long story short, I'd like to get my 2yrs exp then make it back out west. Tons of local jobs on the Western Slope, but they're all small companies and want people with experience due to insurance.
    But I'll be back in Packer land just in time for football though...
    Thanks again!

9. Pungent Sauce

Mar 15, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Do you have any issues with Roehl other than their 75Kmi contract? That seems to be the big bee in everyone's bonnet about them right now. As a noob that doesn't rattle me too much, I don't want to be job-hopping out of the gate anyway. Flatbed with them could work me into their specialized/oversize division, with a future lateral to Lone Star. Roehl has a drop yard in Madison, and I've got a place to park the tractor.
    Thanks!

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Roehl seems to be OK. I don't follow them too much, but most reviews are ok.

11. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Personally @trucko i would stay away from Indian river. They've gotten to big for their own good in my opinion. I think food liner does better than them as far as staying loaded. And FL is way bigger. I don't know. Don't work for either. My dad use to run with Powermarine back in the day before Indian absorbed the company. That's about when Indian shined. Right with PowerMarine. Ever since then, Indian has been on a lot of customers #### lists for contaminated product and having to pump out customers tanks for said contamination. I think there's a bulk matic in n jersey if you be interested in pneumatics. There's a joke going around. Indian will haul sucrose on a clean tank, but your back haul will be crude oil.

(Fyi) you don't do that. Two different products don't get hauled on the same tank. Ever! No matter if it washed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.