Which company will allow me to get my CDL permit through them instead of going to the DMV?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by IAMKINGJAMES__, May 11, 2020.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IAMKINGJAMES__

IAMKINGJAMES__ Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have to wait for the DMV to open up no matter what I do correct?

4. IAMKINGJAMES__

Apr 2, 2020
    I applied for Prime and I was moving forward with them. I even paid that $100 fee that they charge . All I had to was take the permit test. Then the big bad Covid-19 showed up and Prime tells me that they're not accepting new trainees from the metro NYC area because it was a Covid-19 hotspot. They'll call me back in June.

Chinatown and skellr Thank this.
  5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Prime Inc had people come in from the state to issue the permit, i don't remember the official name for them, they were in uniform. But you still had to go into the DMV or whatever to get your license at the end.

I know Chinatown doesn't recommend Prime for valid reasons. :) Maybe Wil-Trans has a similar setup? They run a separate fleet with Prime...

You could call and ask.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Maybe not, contact the companies and ask. They're well aware of DMV's being closed across the nation, but are still accepting students.

7. IAMKINGJAMES__

Apr 2, 2020
    I tried Wil-Trans as well. But they're looking for the info on my old NY driver's license in which I do not have anymore. In the past year, I live in NY, KS, and NJ. I gave them my current NJ license information and I was able to get them my old Kansas license info but I can't get in contact with the NY DMV. I sent emails that they never responded to. I called every phone number I could find but no one picks up. I can't win lol

8. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Medium Load Member

May 16, 2016
    If I am not mistaken they are trying to push a bill that would allow 3rd parties or companies schools to give permits rather or not it passes is an entirely different story. I can't say for certain where I saw this personally wouldn't mind 3rd party however being able to give a permit to a person from the company and say that person who gives it wouldn't be biased for the company to just pass everyone would be dangerous.

My suggestion would be actual trucking schools like a community college. Not associated with a company, If they did this.

IAMKINGJAMES__ and Muddydog79 Thank this.
  9. ReidAndSon

ReidAndSon Bobtail Member

May 11, 2020
    I wish this was a thing. I'm about to start school in about 3 weeks in Georgia.

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Every fast-food place I go by is hiring for all shifts.

11. Ugminer

Ugminer Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2020
    Try getting online s bmv an see about schedule an appointment. That's what I did here in Indiana

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted