Which company would you recommend for a new driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Southerner95, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Southerner95

Southerner95 Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2021
    Signed up for cdl school. What's the best company to get on with? It looks like you all don't like prime or stevens. Is Schneider good?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. laaylor

laaylor Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    To get your training, it doesn’t matter… stay for the entire year with whoever you choose then, you have so many options your head will spin..

tscottme and bryan21384 Thank this.
  4. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Go with scheider TANKER get your training over and move on to the world of riches

5. Southerner95

Southerner95 Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2021
    I'm finding out if I can get a loan to pay for school so I'd be free to choose a company that hires CDL holders with no experience.

6. laaylor

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    I’ve been driving almost 19 years now… started with Werner… did my training with them, they reimbursed my schooling tuition over the course of the first year…. I stayed with them 6 years, was with my next company: 10….. until it went belly up due to mismanagement… can’t say I regret any of my trucking career… just remember; the first 6 months really sucks! Hang in there and just get thru it… then, your career can be yours to enjoy

tscottme, Speed_Drums and bryan21384 Thank this.
  7. laaylor

Oct 16, 2007
    Creston, Wa
    You will still have to train with that company after you get your CDL at least for awhile…I got my CDL then went to work for Werner…. But, I still had to go out with a trainer to learn the ropes….it was for a couple months…

8. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Currently, you don’t have to go to any of the bottom feeder training outfits. Plenty of of good companies will hire you right of school.

9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Half the people, dare I say more than half, that don't like those companies haven't even worked there. They only go buy what the whiners post on here. Contrary to their belief, there are drivers that have worked with all of those companies for years. Whether a company is good will ve determined by you, it's quite subjective. Any of them will get you some experience. That's most important.

10. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I'll second that! I started with Swift alittle over 2 years ago and still with them. Swift has quite a few million mile plus drivers. Given, my priorities and goals are a bit different than many. So, YMMV. But, don't listen solely to the complaints about any specific company.
    In a nutshell my pros for working for Swift:
    1. If I am uncomfortable with weather and road conditions, I park it and Swift is fine with that. Being a desert rat, I have little winter driving experience. I do have a bit more now because I've been driving the last 2 winters. But, I'm still rather timid about weather and road conditions. It means a great deal to me that no one has ever tried to coerce me to drive when I didn't feel like I should.
    2. Swift has terminals in most of the bigger cities where finding parking can be a real pain. Denver, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix, SoCal, Imhave no problems getting a place to safely park whatever time of the day or night. I just huff it to one of our terminals. Easy Peasy! (FYI, I'm a Western Region driver so most of my experience is isolated to the West Coast area)
    3. I get a problem with my truck, or a trailer flat, or whatever. I make 1 phone call and they figure out the rest. Either where I need to go to get fixed up, or whatever help I need is sent to me. 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. 1 phone call. I don't have to wrestle with figuring out where to get help and getting it arranged. I really like that!
    Those are general reasons, specific to me:
    1. I've been treated well, get along well with the folks I have to deal, with and to the best of my knowledge, no one at Swift has lied to me.
    2. They run me how I want to run. As mentioned my priorities and goals are somewhat unique to my specific situation. Swift has done a really good job of accommodating me in that respect.
    3. They have let me stay in the same truck. I get attached to such things and Swift has been great at allowing me to stay seated in the same truck. I had a 2017 Freightliner as my very 1st truck. But, I wanted a Volvo from the start. About a month after I started it had a hiccup and I was able to reseat into my Volvo. It's been almost 2 years now. Sometime within the next year, I'll have to switch trucks because the one I'm in will be cycled out of their inventory. But, I've appreciated being able to stay in the same truck like this.

As with everything YMMV. I hope you find a company that works well for you and are happy with it all!

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location; we can probably give you a dozen companies to choose from right out of cdl school.
    If the school is 200 hours, then even more to choose from.
    ~
    As for the loan to pay for school, states have programs for free cdl school to help the residents start a new, better paying career.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.