Which diesel anti-gel

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ridlingdj, Nov 17, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I believe one of the reasons people are gelling up after treating it with antigel is because they were too late to treat it. Diesel will not mix well if it’s already semi-gelled from being exposed to very cold temperatures for hours. It needs to be treated before entering cold weather zones, and you also need to fuel over it for proper mixing. I gelled a couple times in my first year as a trucker. It hasn’t happened anymore. I’ve been driving for over 6 years.

magoo68, Studebaker Hawk and Wheeljack Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    As often as not it is water in the fuel system that stops you, not the crystallization of paraffin which is the text book definition of gelling.
    Both stop you.
    As PE trans just mentioned, the treatment must occur well well before conditions warrant it. Start treating the entire system with something to remove excess water that has accumulated in the warmer months, most products do both. Anti gel must be thoroughly mixed in order to be effective.
    According to a representative of one of the leading brands I questioned at a truck show some time ago, many other variables, the source of the crude stock, how much bio diesel and it's chemical makeup, how well the product is handled from refinery to your tank all affect the performance of their and any product.

magoo68 and PE_T Thank this.
  4. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Liced in montana so knew all about winter.

5. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Excellent video, thx interesting corossion results also.

Wheeljack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.