Which Is The Least Terrible Company Sponsored Truck Driver Training?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ajv1987, May 12, 2012.

1. Ajv1987

Ajv1987 Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have been unemployed for 2 months now and am not expecting to hired any time soon. Can't draw unemployed so I have been selling off everything I know just to keep my head above water.I live in Dayton, OH and if you know Dayton it is a struggling city like most which is why I can't find a job. McDonald's is booked with people younger than me. Been there and applied.

I am 24 years old and am not getting anywhere fast. So my escape from drowning in the downward spiral is going to a company sponsored truck driving school. My question is which one? Based on reviews and previous drivers comments they all suck to a certain degree. I just want to know which one is the least terrible.

Anything is better than spending 24/7 in an empty apartment stuck with a lease and unemployed with no money. I only plan on sticking with the company sponsored training company long enough to fulfill the contract and get to a better company. Any advice will help as long as it is relevant to the company sponsored training companies. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Before you do the company-sponsored training thing, contact TDDS in Lake Milton, OH. They have a pretty good course, and since you live in OH, you won't have any delays in transferring licenses back and forth between states (you can only hold one driver's license at a time).

TDDS accepts federal student financial aid, so grab you 2011 tax forms and fill out your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The online form can be found at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/. You'll need to contact TDDS for their school code before you complete the app.

TDDS also offers student housing, as well as Deisel Tech courses if your mechanically inclined, and not too sure about starting out as a rookie driver for any of the crap companies that take students.

If your heart is set on company-sponsored training (not an option I would take unless it was the last resort), look into Watkins-Shephard. One of our members here, American Trucker, got his start there before he moved on to a different company. And I'm sure AT will be willing to discuss his experiences if you ask nice.

dancnoone and Ajv1987 Thank this.
  4. Ajv1987

Apr 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I actually talked to a couple of drivers at a Love's truck stop talking about going through TDDS and had success. I didn't know they offer financial aid. I tried to go through a couple of other independent schools, unfortunately most don't offer financial aid.

I tried the WIA grant but was denied because I have no money and they wouldn't approve me because I can't sustain a living while attending school. Thanks for the advice though, I will check them out.

I know the company-sponsored training is not the way to go and hopefully I won't have to find out. Thanks again for your help.

5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I second BRsims. Watkins Shepard is a good route to go.

6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    http://www.tdds.edu/

The website for TDDS. Look under the Financial Aid tab on their home page. Also, not a bad idea to fill out their website. One of their recruiters will most likely contact you on Monday, and you can ask any questions that may come up.

According to their website, they take Pell Grants, Federal Stafford sub and unsub loans and other state assistance.

Good luck!

A word of warning, though. Be sure you are ready and fully aware of what you're getting into before you start taking loans for trucking school. This is not an easy field by any means, and the turn-over rate for rookie drivers is absolutely ridiculous. Most new drivers end up taking OTR positions, so research any company you apply to thoroughly. This website (TTR) has plenty of opinions on most of the major outfits out there.

A trucking job is pretty easy to find, provided you have a clean driving record. However, if you have DUI, DWI, drug charges, or theft charges, don't bother. These are major no-nos in trucking, and finding a job will be almost impossible. If your record is clean, however, there are plenty of companies that will be willing to hire you.

Just bear in mind that trucking school is only the first step. Most companies will require that you spend time with a driver-trainer (Time spent in training varies by company) before you get your own truck.

Also research what type of trucking you want to get into. There are alot of OTR companies that hire students, and quite a few "regional" outfits that take students, too. Maybe even some local outfits down by Dayton, so keep an eye out.

Different outfits haul different types of trailers, and each trailer has it's ups and downs. From what I've seen, most students start out pulling dry van (those big boxes on wheels, haha!). And van ain't that bad, depending on who you work for. But it is, in my opinion, one of the most stressful types of trucking. Plenty of tight time schedules, and these days plenty of sitting around between loads. Another option is Temperature-Control, commonly referred to as "reefer" (hey, I made a funny...sort of...). Reefer is fairly steady, and generally pays a bit more than dry van. The downsides include grocery warehouses and "lumpers", which I will not go into as I've sworn off drinking alcohol.

My personal preference is hauling flatbed, but it's not everybody's cuppa tea. Throwing tarps in winter flat-out sucks! But you get more exercise, and there's a bit of pride in looking at a well-secured load and knowing you did it. Plus, flatbed has it's own "sub-culture" in the industry. Frankly, us skateboarders is cooler than all them box pulling door swingers!

*You might want to duck the incoming flames from the door swingers*

Finally, there's tankers. Probably the best drivers on the road pull tankers. They've got the squirelliest load to pull, since liquid is in constant motion. Plus they get the highest amount of hazardous materials freight from what I see, unless they pull strictly food grade.

You've got alot of reading, and alot of thinking, before you start a school to drive truck. If you decide to join the rest of us, wecome and more than welcome. This site is specifically designed to help newbies into the field. If you decide to look into other fields, no harm and no foul. You're still welcome around here. We've got plenty of loonies who don't drive truck!

Ajv1987 Thanks this.
  7. Ajv1987

Apr 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree with what you have said. It is a long road ahead and I will make sure to be fully prepared for it. I think the hardest part will be figuring out what type of trucking and which company to go with after training.

I heard Maverick is a good company for recent grads interested in pulling flatbed. I agree, it would be a pain to tarp and strap the load down in the winter but there is also tarp pay and the exercise. I appreciate your informative and positive attitude. Thanks again brsims!

8. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Not a problem, Ajv1987! Maverick has a generally decent reputation as far as driver treatment. I've never seriously looked at them as a possible employer, since all they have in my area is glass division and I more prefer hauling steel, but I haven't really heard all that much bad information about them.

If your gonna flatbed, make sure you're in shape! Flatbedding is great and fun, but if you're not in shape it can get real painful, real fast!

9. Ajv1987

Apr 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yeah Maverick isn't really in my region either. I don't think I will go to work for them since most of the routes are out west. Not that I mind being out west I would just like to stay near Ohio if possible so I get home more that 2 days a month. Don't get me wrong I plan on getting as many miles as offered and I know OTR means being gone for weeks at a time. I would just like to have a better chance to get home if I needed to.

I am in pretty good shape and am highly considering flatbed for the exercise and the pride in delivering a load that I tarped and strapped myself. If you know of any decent flatbed companies I should consider once I am trained feel free to tell. I have a lot of research to do and am excited to be doing it for once haha! Never enjoyed it back in school.

10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Look into TMC as your "starter" company. I've talked to plenty of new drivers with them who were fairly happy, and the load securement training is top notch. Give'em a year or two, and then alot of doors will open for you into some smaller, more local outfits.

Also check into Roehl or Melton.

Just remember, after a year you will have many more options. There are alot of smaller companies out there who never advertise because they don't have to. And those are the companies you generally want to drive for. Just gotta "pay the dues" first. Plenty of us went through it, myself included.

11. Ajv1987

Apr 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I will look into those companies. From reading posts on here from drivers that went to TDDS, TMC is one that frequently has a recruiter stop by to inform the students. I don't know much about Roehl or Melton but will find out more on them.

I know the first year is rough for student drivers since most haven't driven a rig before and don't know what to expect. I plan to have my ducks in a line and be fully educated for the journey ahead. I know it is a lifestyle and will be an adjustment for me.

You're right we all have to pay our dues and I will do just that when the time comes. I have plenty of information from what you've told me. I am already excited to get rolling down the road but will make sure not to get one foot ahead of me before I know where I'm stepping. Thanks again for all your advice!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.