Which Non-Company Sponsored School Is Best

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Iwanttobeatrucker, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Iwanttobeatrucker

Iwanttobeatrucker Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Hello All,

Time has come for me to pick a school. I am looking for recommendations on a good school that is not company sponsered. I do not want to go to a Community College because it takes too long (6 mo.). Does anyone know of a school with good training in a 3-4 week time frame? I live in the Dallas TX area, but would go where ever the best school is located. I would like to be driving with a company within the next 2 months.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheBouncer

TheBouncer Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Try to get in the WIA program from the Texas workkforce commission. It is a program run by the TWC but the money comes from the Department of Labor. They have different schools on there list and will pay for it. Some counties are out of money until October when there new year begins. But you can get started on what has to be done.
    They are going to send me to ATDS down by Waco. I have not heard anything bad about this school. Also, you will not be obligated to give a year or two of your life to any company if they were to pay for your school.

4. IUfanforever

IUfanforever Light Load Member

May 31, 2007
    C1 Truck Driver Training has a school in Fort Worth. If you pay cash it costs $3,995. They also do sponsorship, but just tell them you want to go through as an independent student.

5. munrkr

munrkr Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Fox Valley Technical College Appleton, WI. 10 weeks, 1,000 miles behind the wheel. $1,800 (in-state) tuition. Good program!

6. Iwanttobeatrucker

Iwanttobeatrucker Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I have been looking at SAGE for training. My question is, does it matter if I go to one of theirs that is PTDI Certified or one that is not? They have a School here in TX that is not, but they have other schools in other states that are. If they have Certified schools in other states, do trucking companies look at their non-certified school training as just as good of training, or do I really need to go to a PTDI certified school?

7. munrkr

munrkr Medium Load Member

Dec 14, 2006
    The short answer might be "No" it doesn't matter. Most, not all, companies just require a license. They'll give you a road test and decide if you're worth their effeort to train. I think, and like to advise others, that this is taking a narrow view of things. I posted on this issue before if you're interested in a long winded pro vs. con. And keep in mind that I have NO practical experience in over the road trucking. Just an opinion. I 'd say if you can do a certified school without too much cost or inconvienience, do it. But if it proves impractical... you'll have to settle for a mill. Many of which seem to be pretty dicey. Good luck to you!

8. colts832000

colts832000 Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2008
    vincennes, in
    i went to C1 in indiana and i loved it was company sponsored training but like somenoe else said its only 3995 for cash customers. I got license within 3 weeks and i had never been in truck before. I now waiting on call to do over road training with sponsor company there was few people in my class that paid for it there self one of them was one of the first to pass. I would recommend C1 to anyone espically the one in Indianapolis, in if you look i done log on it and plan to do it thru my over the road training.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.