Which of these three jobs would you choose?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Texhound, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Texhound

Texhound Bobtail Member

Sep 6, 2018
    This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while. I recently completed my first year of driving - OTR with Swift. I have a clean DVR and background, and live in Dallas, TX. I posted an application online and received emails and calls from about 40 trucking companies. I've narrowed the job hunt down to the following three offers, which all have Dallas-area facilities.

1. Mesilla Valley Transport offered a 2100-mile dedicated triangle (Dallas-El Paso-Denver-Dallas, with a stop in Albuquerque). This is supposed to take 3-4 days with resets at home, so 3,000 miles per week is doable with a reasonable amount of hustle. This is the lightest offer at 45 CPM. There are monthly and quarterly bonuses (forgot the details), and there's a $100 bonus for every clear inspection.

2. Crete Carrier Corp offered 50 CPM plus 1 CPM raises at 30,000 and 60,000 miles. Quarterly mileage bonus of 2 CPM for hitting 30,000. The recruiter said that I could be given a dedicated route, but did not specify where to or whether it would be home weekly. I'll call back to ask for details.

3. Knight Transportation offered a sliding pay scale of 41-50 CPM depending on length of haul, plus easy-to-reach monthly mileage bonuses that are also on a sliding scale (max of 4 CPM for 11,000 miles, I think), and also a 1 CPM monthly safety bonus, and a $1,500 sign-on bonus paid in the first month. The recruiter claimed that Knight has so much extra freight that a planner could craft virtually any sort of dedicated route that suits me.

Which would you choose, and why? I believe all three carriers are reputable and could keep me moving. I would like to be home weekly, but 10-14 days out is also acceptable. I have 10-15 years until retirement depending on what the markets do, and I do not want to jump from job to job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Aren’t Swift and Knight the same thing?
    If you started at a mega carrier that hires student, going to another carrier that hires students isn’t a step forward.

If home is where you want to be, why not look for a local company?

Suspect Zero and tscottme Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Of those choices, I'd go with Mesilla Valley and that dedicated route.

olddog_newtricks and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  5. JLMooreKCMO

JLMooreKCMO Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Mesilla Valley is the smallest I think. That is where I'd startstart and look for reasons to eliminate them.

Suspect Zero Thanks this.
  6. jon69

jon69 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2018
    None of them. If it came down to that I would just get out of driving and sit at home.

I would never compromise my License or my Integrity.

stwik, ncmickey and snowwy Thank this.
  7. JLMooreKCMO

JLMooreKCMO Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Lots of bad s
    Tuff about Mesilla Valley if you search the forum.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I would only make a choice after I talked to current drivers working on the accounts you are considering. Recruiters never give enough info to make a good choice. All they know are averages and "up to" pay amounts. You want to know real-life pay and schedules. Think of someone considering joining the military and then telling his Drill Sergeant "my recruiter said I could sleep until 9am and have Tuesdays off." What the recruiter tells you is more like a commercial than a contract.

The info from MVT is a little more solid than the details you post from Crete and Knight. The info for the last 2 companies is what you can get from 1 Google search. That's not enough. Someone is doing the job on the account they are hiring you for. Have the company have one of those drivers call you. When is he home? How much is he making? How long has he been there? What is good/bad about working on that account?

9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Talk to drivers with all three companies if possible and come to your own conclusions. Recruiters tend to say whatever you want to hear and tell a lot of lies. They get paid for putting warm bodies in the driver's seat, and don't really care how they do it.

10. local439

local439 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Brentwood , Ca
    Look on a job site like Monster, Indeed or Glassdoor. There are tons of local jobs around your area if it’s LTL freight, construction, Ag or retail distribution, fuel, bulk commodities, refuse... the list goes on. Start researching companies that you see with day cabs that will take someone with a year experience. Going home every night and getting paid vacation and good benefits is where it’s at in my opinion.

11. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    If it came down to the best choice, that would be the first one. I would take a look at that contract carefully and make sure it’s your name on the dedicated account and not the truck number.

Also, Denver is one of the stops? You ain’t doing 700 miles going to Denver. The company is probably looking at it from a gps point of view.

I would not even show doing 2100 miles in 3 days (700 mile a day). If I did, I might as well bend myself over and get ready for big daddy IRS audit to come over.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.