Which of these trucks sounds the least evil?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by truckermario, Jun 20, 2008.

1. truckermario

truckermario Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I'm talking to a truck vendor who's will to sell me a truck. He mailed me a packet that shows what he has in stock with pictures. Of course when I finally get to look at the trucks I'll test drive them and do full inspections. I've narrowed it down to four. They're all aerodynes. I've got no preference for classics or peterbricks.

2001 International 9400I, 12.7 Detroit 430 HP, 230 WB, 72 sleeper, 10 speed, 2.79 ratio, 120 gallon tanks. Doesn't mention the tire radius, but they look like 22.5s.

2001 Freightliner Columbia, Cat C-15 435 HP, 230 WB, 70 sleeper, 3.58 ratio, 10 speed, 120 gallon tanks, 275/80R 22.5 tires.

2003 Freightliner Century, ISX 450 HP, 230 WB, 10 speed, doesn't mention ratio, 90 gallon tanks(Yikes!), 22.5 low pros.

2003 Freightliner Columbia, 12.7 Detroit 470 HP, 10 speed, steel rears, 70 sleeper, 3.70 ratio, 22.5 low pros.

I like the sound of that International, but I don't know if 2.79 is too high for a Detroit. On the other hand, the 03 Freightliners have low pros on them, so that should save my fuel economy a bit. But super singles should get even better fuel economy, and I can put them on any truck that's speced right later on.

Any thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    2.79 is how Wal-Mart spec'd those Internationals with Detroits, , was the 1 with 3.70 gears an overdrive? I have driven a truck with 2.64 gears and a 12.7, 2.79 should be OK.

I'd stay away from that ISX, I have driven 1 quite a while now and the nickname of ISuck fits it pretty well, plus the fact that few Freightliners had them so parts that would be stocked for a N-14 or Detroit would most likely need to be ordered for the ISX. The fuel bypass is hotter than any other motor I have driven would be worse with smaller tanks, and they really run badly after a cold start. If you won't be letting it sit outside during the cold weather in the Midwest, it would be better for that motor. Economy is good during the warm months.

Do any have full fairings?

truckermario Thanks this.
  4. truckermario

Sep 24, 2006
    They all have full fairings. I get the feeling all the trucks on his lot are overdrives. I'll ask if the International is a direct. If it is, that would be awesome.

5. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    The International would have a 10 spd direct drive transmission since it has 2.79 rears. The road speed calculator shows appx. 63 MPH at 1500 RPM with 22.5LP tires, and about 67 at 1600. This is the rRPMs these engines like to run, so the fuel economy should be good.

The biggest drawback with this truck is unless things have changed, is the highest engine torque you can go with the 2.79s is 1450 ft lbs. This is not as much as you might want if you run a lot of hills. A 12.7 is capable of going to 1550 ft lbs, and it makes a big difference in pulling.

Of course, you will want to check the transmissions of the other trucks to see what the torque specs on them is also. They may only be able to go to 1450 also.

The 2001 Columbia looks to be speced out to have the highest possible HP and torque of the trucks listed. If you can stand the rattles, wind noise and engine noise, then the Columbia may be the best bet for power. If economy is your biggest concern, then the International with the 2.79s may be what you want.

As far as tires, I am no fan of super singles.

truckermario Thanks this.
  6. truckermario

Sep 24, 2006
    So either the International or the Cat Columbia. If I can get this issue with DAC cleared up, I think KLLM might hire me, so I intend to lease on with them. Those reefers mean I'm going to need all the fuel economy I can get. However I tend to be a slow shifter, so maybe the higher torque of the CAT might be better on the hills.

7. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    You may get there a few minutes later with the Detroit, but you will have more money in your pockets. Plus, parts prices and availibity is better with the Detroit, and you have a lot more people who can work on them.

8. droy

droy Heavy Load Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Don't know the type of driving you'll be doing, but my father had two Internationals spec'ed almost identical to the one you're considering (his had N14s, and direct 10 speed trans). He used them for hauling grain, and had ALOT of problems with the gearing. Pulling up when loading in soft areas was impossible without the truck bouncing like a bucking horse. Backing up was even worse. he finally traded one, and changed the trans on the other, which helped some; he eventually sold that one also. They were just geared too tall for that type of work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.