Which oil for my 2003 C15!?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mchtruck, May 27, 2023.

1. mchtruck

mchtruck Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2023
    Recently purchased a 2003 379 with a c15 and I’m about ready to hit the road and the last thing on my checklist is to do a fresh oil change and fuel filters

previous owner used DELO 15w-40 oil and was changed roughly 6,000 miles ago (the truck sat most of the winter) so I want to run a fresh oil change before I set off on my own

going to throw on some CAT fuel filters and CAT oil filter but wondering what everyone recommends for oil?

truck has roughly 100k on overhaul and has excellent oil pressure and zero blow by.

the question is…. Do I stick with DELO oil or switch it up and run CAT, SHELL or MOBILE?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I would do an OA, you should have done this before you purchased it, the OA should tell you the condition of some of the engine components and will give you a good baseline.

So how did it dyno out?

You meet the 85% of rated power?

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    To me its all the same if it meets Cat's specs.

mchtruck Thanks this.
  5. mchtruck

mchtruck Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2023

Thank you for the input! There’s nothing on this truck that I’m concerned about. I’m just simply asking what people out there are use for oil because there’s a lot of different options so I’m just looking for peoples experience!

6. mchtruck

mchtruck Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2023

Thanks!

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Some people have preferences. I've heard it claimed that some oils have less blowby or less consumption than others.

My old man ran 15W-40 Delo in everything he owned - 3406A and MBN Cat, Series 60 and ISX with no problems at all.

Oxbow and mchtruck Thank this.
  8. mchtruck

mchtruck Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2023
    Awesome! There’s no real reason I’m looking to switch so that’s the kind of answer I’m looking for! I appreciate the input!

9. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Citgo C500 15w40, Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40, Delo 15w40, all very good Diesel engine oils, plenty of others ‘big name’ engine oils on the market.

mchtruck Thanks this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I don't think you understand, you should always be concerned about the truck, and these things are part of picking out the truck right to make sure there isn't a lot of downtime.

You need to do Oil Analysis, it is actually recommended by Cat. It tells you when you should be changing the oil, right now you are in a good position to establish it with before your first oil change.

An OA can tell you a lot about the engine's condition, especially the bottom end.

Blowby is measured at a full load on a dyno, it tells you the condition of the rings. The dyno tells you the amount of HP the engine is producing and you compare that to the rating of the engine to tell you if the rebuild was any good or when it needs to be rebuilt.

As for oil, what others said, but as for cats, they are more demanding.

The game isn't to be a big-time truck driver with a big hooded truck on the side of the road but to be one driving down the road.

11. mchtruck

mchtruck Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2023
    I’ll have an analysis done! Again I was just looking for oil recommendations but Thankyou!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.