Which States are the unfriendliest to truckers?

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by dieselbear, Mar 9, 2009.

1. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    I had a conversation with a driver today about which States were the most unfriendliest to truckers. Just wondering what the Forum thought. Whether it is the DOT, the Virginia parking on shoulders or the lack of rest areas for drivers to use. What is your opinions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Illinois is toughest on the scales - no tolerance . I haven't been in CT in years . They used to park in rest areas and ask drivers for their log books as soon as they stepped out of the truck . OH does a lot of roadside checks but they're pretty decent to work with . I haven't really had any problems anywhere .

4. JSmitty

JSmitty Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Midland Tx
    California just about tops the list for me. I refuse to even go there anymore.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

I don't know about you, but I have crossed the scales in Illinois 750 lbs over on the tandems and they have let me roll with out stopping.

6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    After being over on the drives there once with a hopper bottom I made sure I was never over again . We're especially careful not to be over with tankers .

7. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    i think it is more of a state-regional than just STATE problem.
    take Va. for instance, i never have a problem finding somewhere to stop on 81. BUT 95 from baltimore to fredricksburg Va is a real task sometimes.
    anywhere around chicago
    memphis
    montgomery al
    dang near ANYWHERE in Ct. or NH
    i'm sure there are others i can't think of right now

8. javelinjeff

javelinjeff Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca
    Dieselbear,in all my travels i have yet to find any particular STATE that is bad,but i have had the pleasure of meeting a few that didn't belong in law enforcement!! You probably know some of these types in your line of work. Actually the majority of the DOT inspectors or State Troopers that have pulled me over for random inspections were friendly and professional,whether they were in IL,IA,NE,CA,OR,WA,TX,NM.although i did have a youngster try to put me OOS for a pinhole leak in the little airbag on the back of the sleeper in CA,his supervisor laughed and sent me on my way with a 30 day repair order-fixed it the next day.

9. GAPrincess

GAPrincess Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2009
    My truckerman says California; but he also won't drive in Manhattan just cause it's a #####.

10. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    any state that has idle regulations IS unfriendly to truckers.

11. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    Me personaly would rather run the Long Island Expressway than go to stinking Cali. of course I have a regular reciever and shipper there so I know where I am going I guess that does help a bit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.