Which states does the best or worst jobs in treating snow and ice on the highway?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bigkev1115, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Do they allow chains in PA?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    Wisconsin is the best

Indiana is the worst

4. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    I would say montana does good job, idaho so-so and WA snoqualmie pass is worst! Every time it snows there expect it to be closed or chain up cause they don't want to mess around with cleaning slush

Long FLD Thanks this.
  5. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Why wouldnt they?

6. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Sometimes snow piles up on Snoqualmie faster than anyone could possibly clear it.

7. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    We pretty much have snow packed roads from November to March. They scrape the best they can, and spray that stupid magnesium chloride that eats up vehicles everywhere. I’m sure since the population is barely over 1M is a lot of the reason why there isn’t a snow plow for every road.

I’ve never been to a state that gets actual snow that does a better job. That’d be because I never travel outside the northwest.

I’ll take three feet of snow over 40 below any day.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In arkansas we don't have much of anything. Sunshine takes care of it along with the post frontal dry wind. Cleans it right up if you wait a day.

Chicago is the worse. They throw everything down in a few flakes turning what should be decent snow into slush that freezes come the night. Then you have a mess.

Ohio is not that bad. Maryland is no slouch either although in certain storms they have elected to wait until it's over, no one is going anywhere anyway.

It's the south I pay attention to, particularly in ice. I have gotten pretty good on ice and be moving when no one else would be. Which is the one reason I am either PTSD or mentally ill now when we deal with ice. Ive had too much of it.

Its not us we need to worry about, it's always the idiot in the 4wheeler (I own one and know enough to stay the hell home...) or the dumbkoft in the prius.

9. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.