White Out - Log Book

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by schristopher69, Jan 19, 2009.

1. schristopher69

schristopher69 Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I have a question I can not find a correct answer for. If you make a mistake on your log book, can you use white out to correct it. OR, do you just have to write a new log for that day. I am talking major mistakes not a wrong digit or something like that. thx

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IronRydr

IronRydr Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    As far as what I know and have been taught, you do NOT use white out on a logbook. Doing so would make it appear that you're intentionally trying to cover something up. Either draw a straight line through the mistake (mileage, date, etc.) or draw a 'squiggly' line through it if it's a mistake on one of the duty lines and then draw the correct line. You should also make the correction to the page you started on rather than starting a new page.

Hope this helps!
    IronRydr

schristopher69 Thanks this.
  4. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    We use white out all the time. I prefer the tape, it's easier, and less of a mess.

You DO NOT want to make 5 mistakes each day for a week. That would raise eyebrows.

It would be better to start a new page.

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I've been told to correct it and initial the correction, and to not use white out.

Maybe someone that knows what the FMCSA has to say about this will give us the official rule.

6. DirtyDawgJake

DirtyDawgJake Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2008
    In the granny lane
    Tennessee DOT told me I can use whiteout a couple nights ago when I got a level 3. I'm usually pretty good at the book but we all have our days. I don't see the need to go that route personally but if I did I would get the tape like Danc said, who wants to wait for whiteout to dry when the wheels could be turning. And if it doesn't dry all the way then you'll have a real mess with pages stuck together and what not.

7. msmspilot

msmspilot Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2008
    North Mississippi
    It's funny... In aviation, I was told to never use white-out; draw a line through the error, initial, and correct. This is the standard in most legal stuff.

However, in the trucking industry, they seem to not care about white-out. I don't get it, but that's how this industry seems to work.

8. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

Well Im not sure the DOT regs on this...would be interesting to see. However...companies have their own policies as well on using it or not.

Either way...My understanding of the log is that...when we sign it...it is our legal 'true statement' of what occurred that day. So to me...it seems that using white out would be OK because you are signing the log, saying everything shown is true and accurate...and Id think that would include any white out corrections.

9. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

The book says to do exactly as you stated. It doesn't offer an option. Nor does it say you can't use white-out.

However, the DOT will not say a thing. I've been through every kind of rectal exam the DOT can give, from CA to NY. And have yet to have anyone question the use of white out.

The only people who said anything to me, was the log department. When my logs jammed the scanner. I solved that by using the tape.

Additionally, if your company uses a scanner, any logs corrected as you mentioned. Will have to be entered into the system manually. The reader will simply spit a bunch of errors/violations. Unless the software has changed in the past couple of years.

schristopher69 Thanks this.
  10. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    WHITE OUT IS YOUR FRIEND:yes2557:

I use white out (tape) on everything. The only thing the regs say is that when you sign that log page it is lagal and correct. Which is why you should NEVER sign it tell the end of the day when you finish it out.

I also use it on things like toll receits to get rid of time stamps. When you scan it on TransFlo or Tripscan it will come out as a blank:biggrin_255:

11. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    I use a shredder. :biggrin_255:

Chain Drive Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.