Who bought a house with trucking money?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by hopeful eyes, Oct 23, 2020.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    At 21 my goal was to be debt free by 30.

I missed the goal by about 8 years, but better to shoot for the moon and hit the barn.

TravR1, kemosabi49 and hopeful eyes Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Both growing up in families that worked hard. My wife while still in highschool had 3 jobs. I had 2. In the mid ‘80’s at age 16 She bought a 3 acre lot on lake Mcqueeny on the Guadalupe river already looking at making an investment. No intention on building or living on it. A few years after we got married we sold the lot in ‘97 and with that cash we built a 1500 sq ft house in a small subdivision 20 miles from my property were we are now. In late ‘98 A big 100 year flood came through and put the lake property and the house the folks who bought it from us built 30 ft under water. We washed our hands of that just in time.

We had a new house slowly built on my 6 acres of hayfield I bought from my family and by ‘05 were ready to move in. We sold the first little house for asking price cash to a guy in California sight unseen and used that cash to build our shop and put in a 10,000 sq ft concrete pad between the house and shop and 700ft long concrete driveway from road to shop to park the trucks on.

hopeful eyes Thanks this.
  4. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I built pole barn houses and rented them to teenagers. They send me money every month :)

....important tip....
    Use two layers of synthetic under an exposed fastener roof. Raised seams are the way togo but if you do it the way I mentioned you will be fine. None of that cheap velvet crap....

5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I saved 100k in 3 years. Well, 2 and a half years. It will be 3 years in February. Its completely possible.

I team drive, and used stock market to grow savings faster. If I didnt do those things, would have taken longer.

But really its up to you and what you are willing to do.

I did get the F150 pickup. But no home. I dont really need it. If I do buy property, it would be like a 4 unit rental property, and I would just rent the spaces out.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    blairandgretchen and hopeful eyes Thank this.
  6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Where are you looking at buying in Utah against the mountains? I spent a lot of my younger years in Sandy up against the mountainside there.

I think homes south of Thanksgiving Point are going to be cheaper between those mountains and Utah Lake. And my guess is still a lot of appreciation to come since theres crazy growth all around there. Lots of mormons moving down there. Something about the end of times. Lol. I dont know, but still growth makes it a good investment.

That I15 stretch through I think Lehi? Its all messed up man.

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I hope that isn’t where you are planning on buying that house, unless you want to pay $500K for about 1000 sq ft.

I’m not paying more than $150K for that much house.

8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Just dont shoot for the moon and hit one of your cows standing by the barn.

Ask Donnie Baker what happens when you mix booze, fireworks, and cattle. The cattle lose, youre out money, and youve burned most of your beard off.

But back on focus here, just dont shoot blindly. ;)

9. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Focus your efforts by living below your means. Cook at least some of your meals in the truck. Get debt out of your life. (I suggest Dave Ramsey.) You should be able to save the 20k a lot faster then 3 years, I understand everyone’s situation is different.

Don’t by “too much” house, get a 15 year mortgage, and aim to pay it off in 10 years.

I’m two years into that 10 year plan. Paid off house, debt free, 500k or so in a 401k, at 37 years of age. Then maybe I can take a easier local job until I can retire at 50.

Trucking is all about what you put into it. Do something specialized and the money is there. Don’t settle for dragging a box for $700 a week and think you’ve reached the pinnacle of trucking.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.