who do you use for legal services?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by blackpea, Feb 13, 2015.

  1. blackpea

    blackpea Bobtail Member

    Feb 13, 2015
    Hey all!
    I have been a driver for a while now, but have found myself in a situation. I have - thought - I had a legal plan through the company I work for...but just found out they are completley useless if the ticket is in another state.
    I was wondering if you would share who you use if you drive OTR. I have looked up a couple companies online but would rather not waste money if they are rip-offs!

    much appreciate the help!
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. The Admiral

    The Admiral Heavy Load Member

    Jul 18, 2010
    My experience has been you need the right person in the area where you received the ticket. I have used the internet, the local bar association, and AARP. Takes some time but the right attorney can work wonders. Plan on spending $500- $1500.00 depending what you got yourself into.
    rank Thanks this.
  4. 77smartin

    77smartin Road Train Member

    Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Get the lawyer with the office closet to the courthouse.
    EZ Money and rank Thank this.
  5. Dryver

    Dryver Road Train Member

    Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Better call Saul !!!!

    77smartin, stabob and Saturday Thank this.
  6. Verdel

    Verdel Medium Load Member

    Oct 26, 2013
    I agree with Admiral and 77smartin. Only local attorney can do a good job. My last ticket was in Lexington, TN. Found a local attorney, he was specializing in divorce, but agree to take my traffic case, because he knows the Judge very well. In the court, Judge called my name, in the same time my lawyer approached. Judge said to my attorney: - Good to see you again in my court! After a few minutes reading the documents, the judge dismissed the ticket and said: - Your client will pay only the court fee. It was like $50 or something. The ticket was $187, but because was a moving violation I hired attorney $500.
  7. DenaliDad

    DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

    I got a ticket in Wyoming based on a hokey set of circumstances alleged by a local business owner because the local non-commercial vehicle sheriff's deputy "had to do something." I never had a ticket of any kind before and the LEO said all I had to do was mail in the $150 and that would be the end of it. Except it wasn't. Little did I know the case file was sent to Michigan who saw it quite a bit differently.

    If there is a "next time," I will use AARP and find a local lawyer, no matter the cost. $1,500, even $2,000 would have been very cheap freight compared with what it cost me to listen to that local cop, something I will also never do again.

    This ain't Absaroka County and he wasn't Sheriff Longmire.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  8. Pedigreed Bulldog

    Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

    May 7, 2011
    Save the money you'd otherwise pay to one of these "pre-paid" legal services, and you should have more than enough to cover whatever attorney you need to hire on the rare occasion you find yourself needing one. If not, then you seriously need to rethink the way you are going about your job...because needing legal assistance ought to be a "few-and-far-between" occurrence if it ever happens at all. Sure, stuff happens...but it shouldn't happen every day, week, month, or even year.
  9. vikingswen

    vikingswen Road Train Member

    Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Google Roadlaw. I have used them before and they saved my bacon with a ticket in California. It was $500.00, but they got the job done. They use local attorneys that actually show up in court. You can also do a yearly membership which gives you a discount on legal services. Good luck.
  10. gpsman

    gpsman Road Train Member

    Dec 10, 2013
    I concur with retaining a local attorney, they work with the local court all the time, but it's important to know if your judge is an actual jurist.

    If you're to appear before a Justice of the Peace or in Mayor's Court just pay the ticket and be done with it, no sense in adding insult to your injury.
  11. EZ Money

    EZ Money Road Train Member

    I agree,The local Attorney is the way to go.
    I usually call one in the area that does not handle traffic matters.
    When they say no,we don't handle tickets I ask who in the area is the best. I usually get a couple names to work with.
    Then I go online and research these lawyers and see how they are rated.

    Usually the ones right near the court house that have been there for years is the way to go.

    I NEVER just pay a ticket! Lawyer up no matter what! Protect your license at all cost!

    I had a ticket from a TN DOT for speeding in the "no fly zone" in Knoxville...
    The lawyer kept putting it off for over 6 months.....he was waiting for the right Judge.
    Case dismissed so I sent that to the FMCSA Data Q......It was removed from my MVR and PSP...
    Worth the 500 for a good Attorney!

    Any time a state trooper gives you a ticket it goes on your MVR and PSP before the ticket even goes to court!.....Stupid rule!
    123456 and The Admiral Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted