Who else gets frustrated with the places that won't allow us on the trailer/load?

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by Ridgerunner665, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I got so pissed off at GP in Gladys the other day I almost quit (its not that far from home for me)...I love my job, I enjoy it, and I'm good at it...but I get really agitated when shippers start telling me how to do it...I'm not a quitter and I care about my work history and performance records

GP makes plywood, and they are good at it...I don't tell them how to do their job! I'm a driver...a flat bed driver, been at it a long time, and I'm good at what I do (securing loads, without damage to me or the freight)...and they should not be able to tell me how to do my job...if they don't like the way I do it maybe they should do it themselves, and assume the responsibility for the well being of the load!

I'm not proud of it, but I did (got pissed, didn't quit)...I didn't say anything to any GP employees, that would have been very unprofessional of me and would not have accomplished anything except a bad report on me that would follow me anywhere I may go later.

A flatbed driver needs to be able to get on the trailer and/or the load, its a plain and simple fact.

These tarping contraptions at more and more locations are probably going to be the end of my flatbed driving....unless I could luck into something hauling strictly steel :)biggrin_25519: I would jump on it in a heartbeat).

I don't mind tarping...I actually enjoy it, when I can do it the way I have always done it.

Shippers should put the tarps up on the load and get the hell out of the drivers way and let them do their job.

I know some of you may disagree with me on this, you are entitled to your opinion...and I won't tear it down.

Safety...thats the supposed reason for these tarping contraptions, or so they say...the real reason is liability. I'd gladly sign a waiver on my way in...if I could tarp the way I prefer. It often seems that every step taken towards safety results in lost time for the driver...now we are lucky in that we get detention pay without question (giving credit where it is due), but detention pay does not make up for lost miles...it would have to be appx. $20/hour to do that (never gonna happen)

Everybody is trying to idiot proof everything...and it cannot be done!

The problem with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so ###### ingenious! They always find a way...in time, somebody will get hurt with the tarping contraptions too! (its inevitable)

Oh well...there is my rant...and it IS NOT a rant against Maverick...its just a rant, so I can blow off some more steam...YES, I'm still pissed about it...thats another fault of mine, quick temper and long memory!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
    sewerman Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    I agree with you. But the reason why the shippers have put those tarping machines in is because some idiot who has no business with a flatbed decided that he would like to try it. Then calls off the ####### trailer, files a lawsuit, & goes back to bumping docks.

Ridgerunner665 and sewerman Thank this.
  4. Ridgerunner665

Apr 27, 2009
    Yes...and I understand that.

I'd still rather sign a waiver, and do it my way...:yes2557:...the right way.

5. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    And probably get it done long before you get the nut buster harness on.

Ridgerunner665 Thanks this.
  6. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This reminds me of when I drove a "flatbed"... it was just one of those 5 speed Ford's... no trailer. Whatever you call the ones that you don't need a CDL for. So not really a real truck.

I was usually allowed to secure my own load for the company I worked for... unless I was hauling the really expensive furnace blowers... Then they'd crappily load me with #### dangling off the sides and insecured. I would just go down the road, pull into a parking lot... then fix it. I had to, though. Not because I was ####y, but because the load had the feet of the blower hanging over the side of the bed... if even one of the straps were to give, there would go about 1.25 million bucks. Plus.. the tarping they would put on wasn't even secure enough to be worth the time putting it on.

I might just have been a driver, but I'm VERY concerned with safety of myself, others around me and my load. Plus, I hate looking like an idiot when I deliver the really expensive equipment and parts of it are dangling here... hanging there and all scratched up and no longer sitting on the pallets.

I don't know anything about real flatbed tarping, though. I'm just a CDL student who was reminded of an incident from 5 years ago.

Ridgerunner665 Thanks this.
  7. Ridgerunner665

Apr 27, 2009
    The result of not being able to get on a trailer/load is usually one of these things...I see it quite often!

1- A half ### job just good enough to get down the road a ways so it can be finished up.

2- A half ### job that stays that way all the way to the consignee. (hopefully the tarp stays on the load)...if you've never had tarp fly off a flatbed right in front of you, let me tell you, its no fun! It happened to me last year, the tarp came completely off of a Roehl truck going down the interstate...and it came off all of the sudden like too!

3- A job done right...but lots of time ($$$) lost waiting in line to get IN the tarping contraption.

8. Ridgerunner665

Apr 27, 2009
    Yep...

Actually I can deal with the harnesses (still don't like them)...with those you can still get up there and do what needs to be done. The harnesses are aggravating, and time consuming, but they just rob us of time...not being able to get on the load robs us of the ability to do our job the way it should be done.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  9. Ridgerunner665

Apr 27, 2009
    Don't sell yourself short...you already know more than anybody at GP!

You understand the concept...they do not!

10. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I try never to sell myself short. I just wish to not become overly ####y. I'm one of those guys that walks with confidence, but am open-minded enough to take in whatever advice I could find from someone more seasoned! I usually prefer to work with older people... even the grumpy ones can teach you things you may never have thought of!

I'm just saying... some people have no business loading.

I personally believe that a consignee is going to look at me... as thought I'M the fool when they see their equipment crappily loaded on a truck. I'm picky. I don't want to lose a load, hurt someone, or look unprofessional and ignorant when I show up with stuff hanging everywhere and my tarp on the I-90 some place!

11. Ridgerunner665

Apr 27, 2009
    You're gonna do just fine!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.