who has right of way on 4 way left turn

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Wolfkc, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Wolfkc

Wolfkc Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    At an intersection between a road and two apartment complexes, one on each side of the road, with 4 people all trying to make left turns (2 coming out of each of the apartment complexes and 2 turning into the apartment complexes) is there any precedence or laws for right-of-way or is it just first come first serve like a 4 way stop sign?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    Traffic on the thoroughfare has the right-of-way if I understand the way you're describing it.

Nothereoften and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. ClassB

ClassB Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Syracuse, New York
    Whomever has the biggest vehicle usually wins. :D

5. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I don't know what the legal ruling is in that situation, but the law in a 2 or 3 car intersection is:
    No one has the right of way. The law is that the car to the far left has to yield his right of way until the others on his right have passed. The law is who must yield his right of way. Not who has right of way.
    Lets say 2 cars pull up at the same time. The car to the left must yield to the car on the right.
    If 3 cars are at different points in the intersection, the car to the far left has to yield to the other two. The one in the middle, has to yield to the one on the far right.
    I honestly don't know what the law is about 4 vehicles at different points, all at the intersection, at the same time.
    I THINK, the first person to get to the intersection, is supposed to be yielded to, by the other three, then the law applies to everyone else has to yield to the one on the far right.... I THINK, but I cant point to a specific law that says so.

However, I have always respected the order in which everyone arrived at the intersection regardless of their position.

Good luck.

6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i thought, that that the vehicle trying to get off the road, has the right of way, as if that person does not get off the road, it can tie up traffic, maybe even cause an accident.

i had nearly such an incident many years ago, at a terminal of mine, i was trying to enter..

another one of my company drivers, saw me trying to come into the yard..he tried pulling out....

he caused a bottle neck..

i went and spoke to the safety guy, he said i had the right of way to get off the road, he had the responsibility to yield to me (or anyone else) trying to enter the yard, from a street..

but then too, unless you have pics and arrows, i can;t see what you are saying....

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    person on your left has the right of way.if you both arrive at the same time ........ so many differant answers so that's why they are screwed up ..... those round abouts that are 2 lanes except when I go through they are 1 lane .....

8. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    In that situation, I stay put and wave the other drivers on, even if I am not driving a truck. If the traffic is constant, I wave one set of drivers on, then watch closely as I make my turn as the person who has been in the intersection for the longest.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Man on right gets right of way.

Stay put until they clear out, then move.

Hope you have a dash cam going.

Ffx95 Thanks this.
  10. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Wow some of the comments here make me wonder.

This is basic driving folks. Stuff you learned in drivers ed in high school.

4 way stop... 1st vehicle to arrive has right away.

Vehicles to the left yeild right of way to the vehicles to their right.

So if a vehicle from the North & a vehicle from the West arrive at the same time, The vehicle from the west would have the right away. If the vehicle from the north arrived 1st, they would have the right away.

If 4 vehicles arrive at the same time, the 1st one there goes, then you go around to the right taking turns.

***Arriving 1st is kinda important, because people tend to roll stop signs and feel self important. You have to come to a complete stop. If you haven’t stopped, your not there yet. @buddyd157 did your co worker reach the stop line before you? If so then what makes you more important?

A stop sign is a stop sign, they have a tendency to create traffic back ups from time to time. As a profesional driver your responcability is to follow the rules of the road and not make them up as you go. You’re a truck driver not a cop, stop trying to control traffic.

Hopefully this link will be found helpful. Right of Way Rules - What to do at a 4 Way Stop Sign | Driving School

just_sayin, x1Heavy and Truckermania Thank this.
  11. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    The OP clearly stated that it's not a 4-way stop intersection. It sounds like a thru street with apartment parking entrances on each side. If you are exiting private property onto a thru street you must yield to the street traffic. If the traffic is turning off of the thoroughfare into the parking area, they would still have the right-of-way over traffic entering the street. Perhaps there is some confusion based on the clarity of the OP's description of the situation...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.